Distant Worlds is a vast, real-time, 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.
This new v1.0.4 update includes over thirty bug fixes as well as more than forty improvements to the game balance, interface and usability. For the best play experience, Matrix Games strongly recommends that all owners of Distant Worlds upgrade to v1.0.4. While 1.0.4 will work fine with older saved games, we also strongly recommend starting new games with 1.0.4 as some of the bug fixes and many of the balance changes will not work with saved games from older versions.
Among the major improvements is a rebalancing of economy, diplomacy and research to better balance the early, middle and late games and this includes much smarter private sector automation that should keep your empire running better during times of war or other disruptions. Fleet management has been greatly improved, with new support for auto-engage, auto-refuel and auto-repair as well as system patrolling. Ship Design and retrofitting have seen many improvements as well, making manual ship design and upgrading easier, as well as allowing you to mass retrofit any or all of your existing ships from the ships and bases screen. The displayed “cash flow” has also been improved to be a more accurate indicator of how your economy is doing, and queuing up colonization or construction projects from the expansion planner now distributes them more efficiently among your existing colonies and construction ships.
With Distant Worlds, gamers can experience a “living galaxy” with endless options and replayability, command vast empires that span many star systems and engage in research, diplomacy, ship design, espionage, trade, combat and more!
David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said “Distant Worlds has received high praise from both gamers and reviewers but we know there is more work to do. This update brings Distant Worlds up to a new level of usability and playability and there are more improvements on the way! We’re thrilled to see that every day more gamers get their hands on Distant Worlds and start creating their own epic tales of galactic conquest!”
Vast galaxies are made to order: up to 1400 star systems, with up to 50,000 planets, moons and asteroids. Galaxies are so deep, fun and immersive that you won’t want to finish the game... Build, expand and improve your empire endlessly. The galaxy is packed with life and activity. Encounter other empires, independent alien colonies, traders, pirates and space monsters. Explore star systems, asteroid fields, gas clouds, supernovae, galactic storms and black holes. Discover evidence of civilizations long since past, uncovering secrets about the galaxy's troubled history...
Best of all, you can play the game your way: enjoy a quick, intense game in a crowded galaxy or take your time in an epic game spread across a vast galaxy!
- Truly Epic-Scale Galaxies: Play in galaxies with up to 1400 star systems and 50,000 planets, moons and asteroids.
- Private Enterprise: The private citizens of your empire automatically take care of mundane tasks like mining, transporting, migration, etc.
- Intelligent Automation: Automate the various tasks in your empire, so that you can focus on the areas that you enjoy most.
- Explore: Explore the vast galaxy, discovering valuable resources, potential colonies for your empire and making contact with other empires.
- Colonize: Send out colony ships to found new worlds for your empire.
- Defend: Patrol the outlying areas of your empire, construct defensive bases, and build up your fleets to protect from raiding pirates or space monsters.
- Diplomacy: Interact with other empires, discussing treaties, making trade offers or just giving them a piece of your mind.
- Espionage: Covertly seek out information about other empires, or even disrupt their progress with acts of sabotage.
- Research: Develop new technologies for use in building your own unique ships and star bases.
- Build: Design and build the ships and star bases in your empire. Construct military behemoths at your space ports. Build mining stations, research installations and more.
- Built-in Game Editor: Fine-tune your own galaxy, adding or removing star systems, planets, asteroid fields, ships or anything else.
More articles about Distant Worlds