A tactical action-adventure game, Enslaved centers on the complex relationship between the two main characters and challenges players to employ a mix of combat, strategy and environment traversal. With influences and contributions from top music and film industry talent, Enslaved combines beautifully rendered graphics and captivating music with seamless animation and engrossing gameplay.
More than 150 years in the future, the world has transformed into an unrecognizable state where all that remains are a dwindling human population and merciless robots left over from wars long past. In Enslaved, players take on the role of Monkey, a strong and brutish loner, and his AI partner Trip, a technologically savvy but sheltered young woman from a peaceful community. Both become captured by a mysterious slave ship, which are rumored to harvest people and take them out west never to return. As they each attempt to escape, Trip realizes quickly that Monkey, with his raw strength and power, is the only hope she has of making the perilous journey back home. She hacks into a slave headband to enslave Monkey and link them together – if she dies, he dies. Her journey has now become his.
Players must make sure both Monkey and Trip work together as they skillfully navigate through the world and survive against the dangerous enemy obstacles that lie in wait. Monkey will deftly wield his trusty staff weapon to attack and defend against enemies, using a combination of melee attacks, blocks and counters. He will also be able to perform spectacular takedown moves, allowing him to rip an enemy apart piece by piece, take its weapon for his own use or destroy it in one final blow.
The selection of enticing options ranges from downloadable content (DLC) to limited quantity retail packs that come bundled with the game and bonus item. Additional premium post-launch DLC will also be available and details will be released in the coming months.
Several retailers are offering DLC packs including alternate versions of Monkey or Trip which are not only visually distinct, but also provide unique functional advantages that boost the final retail gameplay experience. For EB Games Canada and GameStop pre-order customers, they will receive a code for deadly, ebony-clad “Ninja Monkey.” With access to unlimited amounts of otherwise rare stun and plasma staff blast ammo, Monkey turns into a bona fide assassin against his enemies. Walmart and Walmart Canada will offer the game with a download code card for “Classic Monkey,” adorned in a striking red and gold ensemble that pays homage to the game’s classic Chinese novel influence. This traditional variant also channels the fearsome warrior-spirit into Monkey’s melee damage, allowing him to strike with double the power. Best Buy U.S. and Canada customers can get the game with a download code card for “Sexy Robot Trip,” a literal mesh of her feminine and technological wiles. This hybrid Trip is both visually and functionally stunning, doubling the duration of all stun moves in the game including Monkey’s ranged stun blasts and melee stun charge attacks, as well as Trip’s own EMP blasts.
In addition, limited quantity bundle packs that include the game and exclusive bonus item are also available from participating retailers. Amazon.com and Amazon.ca customers will have exclusive access to the official soundtrack for the game, which will be offered as part of a limited set of bundles with the game. World-class musician and composer Nitin Sawhney, whose versatility and talent have helped him score more than 40 films and release eight studio albums, has created the game’s captivating, poignant score. Future Shop Canada and Target will offer retail packages which include the game and a mini-comic published by renowned entertainment specialist, Marvel. The custom-created 40-page comic book focuses on Monkey and Trip’s origins, with an eye-opening glimpse into their backgrounds which won’t be seen in the game.
- A cinematic Masterpiece – Featuring dramatic cut scenes co-directed by Andy Serkis, (Lord of the Rings, King Kong) who also plays the lead role of Monkey, portraying critical events that drive the story of Monkey and Trip
- Stunning Environments – Explore a beautiful, eerie world of war-ravaged cityscapes that have been reclaimed by nature and are fraught with danger at every turn
- Tactical Gameplay - Think on your feet! Survey the environment, work together with Trip and choose your path to battle through the perilous environmental and deadly enemy obstacles that await
- Engaging Storyline - Play through an original story co-written by famed novelist and screenwriter, Alex Garland, (The Beach, 28 Days Later); Loosely inspired by the classic Chinese novel "Journey to the West," experience the evolving relationship between Monkey and Trip through their plight for survival
- Dynamic Combat System - Attack and defend with agile prowess using a combination of melee attacks, blocks and intense takedowns which allow Monkey to overtake an enemy to steal its weapon for his own use, rip the enemy apart piece by piece or destroy it in one satisfying final blow
More articles about Enslaved: Odyssey to the West