DCUO offers a dramatic online setting where players can enter the DC Universe and battle alongside or against their favorite DC Comics heroes and villains including such icons as Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and The Joker, as well as many other fan favorites such as Green Lantern, The Flash, Catwoman and Martian Manhunter. The action and drama will play out in such well-known locations as Gotham City and Metropolis among others.
Award-winning writer Marv Wolfman has joined the creative team at WildStorm Productions that is working with SOE to bring the DC Universe to life on the PS 3 and the PC.
Supporting the game’s distinctive, dynamic look is a physics-based combat system that makes traditional role-based massively multiplayer online games a thing of the past. With DCUO, players will have virtual powers that feel truly epic in scope from the get-go. Fly around, grab a bus, and toss it at your foes. Shoot energy blasts from your power ring as you dash with incredible speed along the side of a skyscraper. Or turn rivals into ice cubes and then lob them from atop the Daily Planet building.
- Based on the distinctive, acclaimed artwork and designs of comic book legend Jim Lee.
- Iconic DC Comic settings and characters, from Gotham City to Arkham Asylum, Batman to Blue Beetle.
- Players can enter a persistent DC Universe and fight alongside their favorite heroes and villains to play their own adventure in the mythology of these legendary characters and locales.
- DCUO will be an online world that stays true to the DC Comics property and allows players to feel and act like super heroes or villains.
- Physics-based fighting turns vehicles, streetlights and other players into weapons, resulting in dynamic combat scenarios that are different every time.
Two of animation's most well-known talents lead a triple-A cast of voice actors in providing their skills for the upcoming online action game, DC UniverseTM Online. Mark Hamill (Batman: Arkham Asylum, Batman: The Animated Series) will once again voice The Joker, while Kevin Conroy (Batman: The Animated Series, Justice League Unlimited, Batman: Arkham Asylum) will bring to life everyone's favorite dark knight, Batman.
"We're excited that not only will Mark and Kevin bring their talent back to the DC Universe as part of DC Universe Online, but we've hit the jackpot with a full cast that are veterans of movies, TV shows and games that our fans are crazy about," said Sony Online Entertainment Vice President of Development, John Blakely. "Several of these actors are recognized as the definitive voices for these characters, and will help us in creating an authentic and exciting experience for fans when they get in the game."
Besides becoming an international pop-culture icon as the protagonist in George Lucas' original Star Wars trilogy, Broadway veteran Mark Hamill's career has encompassed virtually all aspects of modern media available to an actor - stage, screen, television, movies and video games. Hamill received a Drama Desk Award Nomination for Outstanding Actor in a Musical for Michael Stewart's Harrigan ‘n' Hart. He has also performed in hundreds of TV cartoons: Batman: The Animated Series, The Simpsons, Ren & Stimpy, Samurai Jack, Spider-Man, Powerpuff Girls, The Hulk, Fantastic Four, Little Mermaid, Phantom 2040, Johnny Bravo, Fairly Odd Parents, The Flintstones, Jonny Quest and Scooby Doo. He's also provided his voice for several animated feature films: Joseph, Prince of Dreams, Balto II, Wizards, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker, for which he received two "Annie" award nominations.
Kevin Conroy is best known to audiences for his role as Batman in Batman: The Animated Series. Conroy continued to voice Batman in the subsequent series The New Batman Adventures, Batman Beyond, Justice League, andJustice League Unlimited. His tenure in the role also includes the films Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, andBatman: Mystery of the Batwoman. He also voiced Batman for the character's guest appearances in Superman: The Animated Series, Static ShockandThe Zeta Project. Conroy has also voiced Batman in the DC Universe Animated original moviesBatman: Gotham Knight , Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, and Superman/Batman: Apocalypse. In a full tally of his performances, Conroy has portrayed the superhero longer than any other actor in either live-action or animation.
The rest of the cast will provide voices for the following iconic characters:
- Adam Baldwin (Superman) -Baldwin has amassed an impressive and expansive range of film roles, from large studio projects to gritty independent films. Baldwin has worked with many of Hollywood's most successful actors and directors, including Stanley Kubrick, Kevin Costner and Richard Donner. In the sci-fi world, audiences know Baldwin for his starring role on Firefly recurring roles on The X-Files, Angel and The Visitor, and guest starring roles on Stargate SG-1 and the new The Outer Limits. He followed up his Firefly character once again in Joss Whedon's motion picture, Serenity. This fall, he returns as John Casey in the NBC drama Chuck.
- Gina Torres (Wonder Woman) - Currently starring in the new ABC Family series Huge, Torres' most notable television credits are her performances as assassin Anna Espinosa on Alias and Zoe Washburn, the shotgun-toting mercenary on Joss Whedon's Firefly (and the feature film Serenity), in addition to her roles in Xena: Warrior Princess and Cleopatra 2525, which earned her an ALMA award. Her film credits include The Matrix Revolutions, The Matrix Reloaded, I Think I Love My Wife and Hair Show. She has also voiced the characters of Vixen in the Justice League animated series and Superwoman in the DC Universe animated feature Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths.
- James Marsters (Lex Luthor) - James Marsters may best be known for the role of Spike, the cult favorite punk-goth vampire that he played for six seasons on the series Buffy the Vampire Slayer and then on the final season of the spin-off show Angel. He is a headlining fan favorite at conventions worldwide honoring the show and sci-fi genre. Marsters played the role of Brainiac on the series Smallville and can also be seen in his recurring role on the hit BBC America show Torchwood, playing the ruthless and sexually deviant Captain John, as well as his recurring role on Battlestar Galactica as Barnabas Greeley. On the big screen, Marsters was featured in the live action adaptation of the hit Japanese video game Dragon Ball, in which he portrays Lord Piccolo, the evil war lord set on destroying the earth. Marsters' upcoming role will be as the recurring villain on CBS's reboot of the classic series Hawaii Five-O.
- Michelle Forbes (Circe) - One of the industry's most prolific actors, Forbes brings an intense quality to every role she tackles. She has appeared in such independent films as Kalifornia and Swimming with Sharks. Last year she made her debut in the groundbreaking HBO series True Blood starring as Maryann, a wealthy local who has mysterious intentions. She has also appeared as Kate Weston in the critically acclaimed HBO series In Treatment. In 2005, Forbes received rave reviews when she starred as Admiral Helena Cain in the intelligent and politically charged series Battlestar Galactica.
More articles about DC Universe Online