Inspired by the film “Days of Thunder”, Paramount Digital Entertainment is getting ready to wave the green flag for the octane-induced thrills in the Days of Thunder videogame. With both single and multiplayer challenges, players race to reach the top of the leader boards and prove that “there is nothing you can’t do in a race car!”
In Days of Thunder: NASCAR Edition, players will join Rowdy Burns’ team as the latest rookie to tear up the NASCAR circuit. With Rowdy as their coach, players will learn to hit the pit, upgrade their ride and trade paint with other cars. They can even “drop the hammer” like Cole Trickle for a boost of extra speed. Rowdy Burns will be voiced by the actor from the film, Michael Rooker, also known for his roles in “Mallrats,” “Eight Men Out” and “Cliffhanger.” Days of Thunder: NASCAR Edition comes equipped with twelve NASCAR-sanctioned tracks, including Daytona International Speedway and Talladega Superspeedway.
With artificial intelligence tailored to match each film character and NASCAR driver, players will experience each driver’s personality, driving style and maneuvers. For example, players will need to watch out for Cole Trickle’s reckless, aggressive driving, Rowdy Burns’ ruthless, veteran skills and Russ Wheeler’s hot head. Days of Thunder: NASCAR Edition features many of the top NASCAR Sprint Cup drivers including Brian Vickers, Carl Edwards, Denny Hamlin, Greg Biffle, Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Juan Pablo Montoya, Kasey Kahne, Kurt Busch, Mark Martin, Ryan Newman and Tony Stewart.
As players race to the top of the scoreboard, they will unlock car customization options and bonus tracks. Depending on how players place in races, take the lead in laps, and pick up new sponsors, they will win in-game currency necessary to refuel, make pit stops, and upgrade their cars. Players’ driving styles will be monitored by an in-game tracking system, allowing players to be approached by like-minded sponsors.
In Days of Thunder: NASCAR Edition, up to 12 people can race to the finish online, log the fastest times on the leader boards, or push themselves to the limit in single-player. There are four different modes – Quick Race, Time Trial, Career, with circuits of varying difficulty, and Derby Mode, where players are encouraged to deal as much damage as they can.
- Adrenaline-Packed Multiplayer – Go head-to-head with 12-player online multiplayer and race to the top of the leader boards.
- Four Single Player Modes:
- Quick Race: Put the pedal to the metal in a quick spin around the track.
- Time Trial: The ultimate high-speed challenge - Determine your starting position in future races with a time trial. Earn your place at the start line.
- Career Mode: Players race in four different circuits at varying difficulty levels.
- Derby Mode: In this unlockable mode, players who deal the most destruction without breaking down win.
- Go Head-to-Head With the Best – Watch out for Cole Trickle’s reckless, aggressive driving, Rowdy Burn's veteran skills and Russ Wheeler’s hot head. With all designed to match the film characters, each player will need to learn to work with or against them to reach the top.
- Three Car Types Based on the Cars of the Film:
- Accelerator: Russ Wheeler’s car is the lightest, so it accelerates the fastest but is the most vulnerable to damage.
- Regulator: Neither too heavy nor too light, Cole Trickle’s car has a balance of speed, durability and acceleration.
- Intimidator: Rowdy Burns’ car is the heaviest, so its acceleration is the slowest, but its top speed is the fastest. It can also take and deliver the most damage, perfect for ‘rubbin.
- Drop the Hammer – Draft behind other cars to slingshot past other drivers or “drop the hammer”
- “And Rubbin’, Son, Is Racin’!” – Cars take on damage in real time as players rip up the track. Watch the damage meter - When the car has taken a few too many beatings, it’s time to hit the pit for repairs before heading back into the high-speed action.
- Pull into the Pit for a Tune-up – The pit is all about speed - quickly punch buttons in this minigame to fill up with fuel, repair damage, and build up your hammer meter.
- SIXAXIS Support: Steer your car with motion control.
- Customize Your Ride – Your car is your car! Hundreds of color combinations enhance your car’s look and feel. Unlock logos, decals and body types. Performance upgrades let you customize your car the way you like, whether you like to speed or if you prefer to grip the asphalt around those turns. It’s your ride so you decide!
- Trophies and Achievements – Hit the tracks and win achievements and trophies to show opponents that “you can’t outrun the thunder!”
More articles about Days of Thunder