Dominions 3: The Awakening, developed by Illwinter Games and published by Shrapnel Games, is a multi-OS (supporting Windows, Mac, and Linux) turn-based strategy game set in a world of epic struggle between men, monsters, and gods. This isn't a game erely about conquering stone keeps and collecting golden booty; no, in Dominions 3 true victory comes not from shiny baubles and real estate, but true godhood!
Here are some highlights of the version 3.26 patch:
- Improved performance and window responsiveness during the 'AI thinking' host stage.
- It was sometimes possible to continue sacrificing slaves even if your temple had burned down. Fixed.
- Fixed crash during turn generation.
- popkill now works for non-commanders as well.
- Command line switch -nonationinfo is now implemented.
- Yogini was not a female. Many a date ended with a surprise. Fixed.
- Pulseaudio on Linux no longer requires Pulseaudio dev package to be installed.
- New modding commands for underwater recruiting.
- Modding: Maximum number of spells increased to 2000.
- Modding: Maximum number of name types increased to 100.
- Many, many more changes, corrections, and additions.
The following is a list of what one can find in the 3.24 patch:
- Eliminated nations are now also shown in the graphs
- Spell AI improved regarding when to cast Arrow Fend, Gift of Flight and Legions of Steel.
- Could get some kind of mine even though all site slots were full--fixed.
- New monster modding commands: #inquisitor, #shatteredsoul, #banefireshield, #uwdamage, #popkill.
- Some units like the vampire now actually takes damage from being underwater, just like they were supposed to.
- Description changed for Maggots to better correspond with its true effect.
- Djinn is now a unique monster.
- Increased maximum number of messages a player can send on a given turn
- Fixed crash during turn generation.
- Support for PulseAudio on Linux.
- New resolutions! 1024*600 and 1024*576 (for netbooks).
- Dominions could crash when changing video preferences--fixed.
Features and bug fixes v3.23
· Battles in Inferno, Cocytus and the Void could not be viewed, fixed.
· Hovering over an equipped item and pressing 'l' sends it directly to the lab. Also added a popup for the 'l' shortcut on the next screen where you choose a commander or the lab.
· Crash during turn generation bug fixed.
· Global enchantments could incorrectly stay up if its immortal caster was permanently banished, fixed.
· Immortals could die permanently from disease, fixed.
· You could get permanently unable to appoint a new prophet in some circumstances, fixed.
· Various magic items got bonuses on returning from other planes.
· Forgotten city adventures had broken traps. E.g. the ballista only dealt 1 point of damage.
· New units: Ryujin, Shark Warrior, Shrimp Soldier, Crab General.
· AI learned how to use the seduction, lure and corrupt special abilities.
· AI can no longer ignore sea of ice and similar restrictions.
· AI could ignore target restrictions for rituals like Tidal Wave in some circumstances, fixed.
· Recruitment ques are now greyed out when unrest >= 100.
· Monthly site searching with spells stopped targeting when no more prime suspects were available. Now it will go through the less likely locations as well after the good once are searched.
· Creating new game with random map and same name without quitting resulted in wrong map graphics being displayed, fixed.
· Stealing a mercenary from another player resets the merc's turn orders. This fixes a potential false cheat alarm.
· Improved cheat protection.
· Improved spell messages for a few situations.
· More new units: Tatsu, Shikome, Monk of the Fivefold Path
· New spells: Signs of the Fivefold Path.
News for map makers v3.23
· Now possible to set a custom skybox for a specific province. E.g. to create a nice space backdrop for your outer space province.
· Now possible to set a certain battle map for a specific province (#batmap).
· New map commands to change the color of the battlefield in a certain province (#groundcol, #rockcol, #fogcol).
· Support for the new battle ground look commands in the map editor.
News for modders v3.23
· Increased max nbr of effects per magic item.
· Modding command #com didn't work properly, fixed.
New Features v3.21:
- New summonable spirits for Jomon: Ujigami, Mori-no-kami, Kenzoku, [getting] Jigami [with], and Gozy Mezu (gesundheit!).
- Dom-kill rate now multiplied by 5 for R'lyeh dreamlands.
- Fixed battle enchantments not expiring when leaving the battlefield by unusual means (e.g. being immortal and getting killed, hopping away on giant killer bunnies).
- Shape changing could result in incorrect magic item loss. Fixed.
- Wishing for a non-unique item could remove too many items from the world. Fixed.
- Game could crash due to too many large units on the battlefield. Attempts to slim said units down using Weight Watchers failed to prevent crash. Went back to the old fashioned way of fixing code. Fixed.
- Fixed crash during turn generation.
- Improved cheat detection. Every game now comes with ninjas, ready to strike down cheating opponents. Wait, no? Bummer. But there is improved cheat detection. Just no ninjas.
- Many random events have had some fixes.
- Some rituals can now only be cast in certain terrain. For example, Hidden in Sand in waste, Cloud Vila in mountain, Nushi in swamp, and more.
- Hinnom PD reduced, start army reduced, and Popkillers gives some unrest.
- Avvite Chariot size 5, Dawn Guard 45, Melqart Blood 3, Ba'al Blood 2.
- Ba'al eat Melquart event reversed.
- Onmyo-ji has got a fortune teller ability and battle summons.
- New nation modding commands: #autoundead, #zombiereanim, #horsereanim, #wightreanim, #manikinreanim, #tombwyrmreanim, #domkill, #domunrest, #templecost, #labcost.
- New site modding commands: #mon, #com, #clear, #incscale, #decscale.
New Features v3.20:
- Occasional crash during host fixed.
- Move order validation improved.
- Battle enchantments expired when caster retreats from battleground.
- New switch: --nocheatdet.
- Nation mods properly recognized when starting network games.
- Increased maximum number of maps allowed in the map folder.
- New weapon modding commands: #dt_small, #dt_large, #dt_raise, #dt_magic, #dt_constuctonly, #dt_demononly, #mrnegates, #mrnegateseasily, #mind.
- Weapon modding: Range -1 = strength as range, -2 = str/2, etc.
- Increased modding limits for maximum number of monsters and descriptions.
- Monster modding: #cold and #heat takes an area variable.
- New monster modding commands: #watershape, #landshape, #forestshape, #plainshape, #unique, #stormimmune, #startaff, #bloodvengeance, #stonebeing, #leper, #beckon.
- LA Atlantis uw recruitment improved.
- LA Atlantis hero.
- Modding: Fixed problem with disappearing magic abilities when enabling many mods.
- Increased maximum number of messages (for huge games).
- Increased maximum number of commanders and units (for huge games).
New Features v3.17:
- Three new nations inspired by biblical and near eastern giant-myths.
- Hinnom, giants of primordial times and gruesome appetites.
- Ashdod, descendants of the ancient Nephilim.
- Gath, humans led by the last of the giants.
- New spell: Manifest vitriol - summon the green lion of alchemy.
- Shattered Souls - tartarians are insane and might act randomly.
- Some new longdead graphics.
- New modcommands: #speciallook, #hero6.
- Some new events.
Bug fixes and balance changes v3.17:
- Twiceborn no longer makes demons immortal.
- Hidden in sand and hidden in snow spell descriptions fixed.
- Shamblers cost reduction.
- Some unit stat fixes.
- Voice of apsu/tiamat restricted to own provinces.
- Astral/fire shield was overvalued by AI and sometimes overruled scripted spells.
- Recruitment queues was not cleared when castle was conquered.
- Seduction order could be copied to ordinary commanders.
- A non-flying seducer could flee with their victim to an underwater province where they both drowned
New Features v3.15:
- MA & LA Ulm sexier.
- Ulm Iron Faith: Black Priests in MA Ulm, Priest Smiths.
- Iron Faith spells: Iron Darts, Iron Blizzard.
- Iron Angel, MA Ulm summon to battle enemy sacreds and magical beings.
- Guardians got Black Halberds that stun enemy sacreds.
- Ghoul Guardians no longer sacred, but got Black Halberds.
- Halt Heretic: New ability on Iron Angel, Ulrich hero and Lord Guardians.
- Plate armors slightly better. Ulm plate armors more so.
- LA Abysia sexier.
- Slayer cult: Anathemant Slayers, common slayers noncapital.
- LA Anathemants got death magic.
- LA Smoulderghosts sacred.
- Warbreds: huge humanbreds bred for war.
- Late Abysian Hero
- Fossilized Giants, LA Abysian summon.
- Altered spell: Hidden in Snow more expensive and gives more units. Also more effective with luck, magic and turmoil.
- New spell: Hidden in Sand. Summons dust walkers if cast in a wasteland. More powerful in luck, magic and turmoil.
- Altered spell: Flight is personal.
- New spell: Gift of Flight.
- New icons: Halt Heretic, Animal Awe, Spy and Assassin.
- Avalon witch changes: Crones strat move 1, mother and daughter random nature/air.
- New national militia events for UW nations.
v3.14 patch includes:
- NEW! A new late era nation called Bogarus!
- NEW! Bakemono got a new scout.
- NEW! New random events.
- Spell AI: Touch of madness and Berserkers avoids casters and archers to some extent.
- Spell AI: No longer casts LoS on armorless units.
- Modding: Increased maximum number of descriptions.
- Modding: Max number of nations and nametypes increased.
- Modding: New monster commands: #darkpower, #firepower, #coldpower, #stormpower, #fallpower, #winterpower, #summerpower, #springpower, #darkvision, #onebattlespell, #patrolbonus.
- Modding: New item commands: #newitem, #descr, #weapon, #armor, #type, #name, #copyspr.
- Modding: New spell command: #nextspell.
- FIXED! MR bless bonus was sometimes displayed incorrectly.
- FIXED! Dominion sometimes spread in incorrect ways.
- FIXED! Legions of Steel bug fixed.
- FIXED! 'y'-screen bug fix.
- FIXED! Caster of Stygian Paths took 1 point of damage for each unit under his command instead of the units taking the damage.
- FIXED! Stygian Paths reported random number of lost on the way.
- FIXED! Ritual casting magic items could malfunction.
- FIXED! Bug preventing more than a hundred sprites or so in mods has been squashed.
- FIXED! Several minor fixes to monster stats and magic sites.
- FIXED! Dance of the morrigans fixed.
- FIXED! Setting 1920x1200 resolution didn't work properly.
- More magic sites enabled in caves.
- Scathach got her magic and flight.
- Hydra sacred all the way.
New Content v3.10 Mega- Patch :
* New nation: EA Fomoria. Enemy of Tir na n'Og. A nation of deformed seafaring Giants.
* New nation: LA Pythium, Serpent Cult. The dom2 theme revamped. Meet the mystery cults and soldiers of the limes.
* Nation remade: MA Mictlan, Reign of the Lawgiver. Sky priests, Moon Warriors, Jade Serpents, new heroes and a pretender.
* Nation Remade: MA T'ien Chi. New units such as apothecaries and geomancers, abilities on several of the old units, new longevity spells, Huli Jing summon, new sprites, conscription more useful.
* New heroes for Agartha, Sauromatia, Eriu, Jomon, Lanka, Marverni.
* Stone beings are now immune from stone sword petrification.
* New horrors
* New event spells: Monster Boar, Send Dream Horror.
* Iron Pigs gives Marverni Iron Boars
* Cave sites, deep sea sites and other sites with a total of 140 new ones
* New bandar summon: Rudra
* New Events
* New icons: diseased, plague carrier, reaper, heretic, healer, poison barbs, reinvigouration, fire power, cold power, storm power, dark power, fortune teller.
* Ko-Oni popytpe added.
* Fir Bolg popytpe added.
* Independent undead apes
Bug Fixes v3.10 Mega- Patch:
* Mac could crash when shift selecting units, fixed.
* Wrong type of local defence under water for some nations, fixed.
* Guru reincarnation bug fixed.
* Some 3.09 heroes with wrong names fixed.
* Monster mod command #reinvigoration didn't work, fixed.
* Weapon mod command #aoe didn't work, fixed.
* Mod command #clearsites didn't work as advertised, fixed.
* Mod command #clearmagic did not work properly on monsters with more than one magic skill, fixed.
* Fixed mod command #secondaryeffectalways.
* Fixed battlefield location on cave battlegrounds.
* Magic scale restrictions for random events didn't work, fixed.
* Magic units without magic leadership fixed.
* Undead units without undead leadership fixed.
* Shuten Doji friendly sleep fix.
* Shuten Doji sleep effect increase.
* Horticulturist no longer harvests his crops with firebrand.
* Tombwyrm & chariot summoning works
* Unholy bless fix.
* Bean Sidhe (undead) enc 0.
* Summon Bean Sidhe fix.
* Seer King enabled.
* Some PD fixes
* Some nation brief_descr fixes
Other Stuff v3.10 Mega- Patch:
* Edi's Great description-fixing.
* New screen resolution 1920*1200 supported.
* Raise dead didn't work properly with corpses from plagues etc. Fixed.
* Ammit -> commander.
* Rain Moddable
* 'Z' cannot be used to steal from mercs.
* Demonbreds not truly demons to disable their unthematic reanimation.
* Deva pretender increased undead leadership
* Magic items on dead people no longer prevents reforging.
* Golem cult statues got darkvision
* Male seducers now seduces females instead of males.
* Cost changes to several units including Shadow vestals, Jaguar warriors, Marverni warriors.
* Troglodyte reduced mr.
* All Mictlan troops forest survival.
* Tempest warriors lost ice prot.
* Indep grimoire slightly improved.
* Hydras remade with 9 heads.
* Maenad new sprite.
* Maenad forest survival.
* MA van home only. Gold cost increase.
* Animal and vegetable names
* Cave sites separated from mountain sites
* Cave province names
And some other stuff...
Bug Fixes, Tweaks, Enhancements v3.08:
New Nation: Tir na n'Og - Land of the Ever Young
New Nation: Eriu - Last of the TuathaMod Squad!
New mod commands: #spreaddom, #nobadevents, #incunrest.
Enforce some rules for #itemslots modding to prevent weird bugs in mods.
#siegebonus didn't work (Fixed)
#copyspell didn't work (Fixed)
Dragonflies' strength changed from 0 to 1 and they can now inflict damage.
Burden of Rime caused severe damage to diseased non-old people (Fixed)
LA Atlantis could not continue fort construction (Fixed)
(Fixed) Cave battlegrounds.
Mod that modified a monster's magic skills could lock up the game (Fixed)
#defaultmapzoom saved when editing maps.
(Fixed) Cave symbol that disappeared in version 3.06.
Some Tuatha and sidhe stat fixes.
Some sidhe magic skill fixes.
A few description fixes.
Light weight scale mail increased res cost.
Svartalf home only
Can use monthly cast multiple site search spells of the same type.
Some monsters were not always unparalyzed properly (Fixed)
Ritual of Rebirth didn't work with 15 size Hall of Fame (Fixed)
Wild Hunt and some more spells were buggy when attacking besieging armies (Fixed)
Magic site fixes, armor fixes, age fixes, hero fixes, unit fixes.
Y could be used to find undiscovered castles (Fixed)
No looming devils underwater.
Summon barghest and black dogs switched
Province defense overflow fix
Esc works when right side menu is hidden
H-shortcut didn't work (Fixed)
Marverni and me Man temples cost 200
Mind hunt could crash the game. (Fixed)
N?got gick fel: No space left on bg - bug fix (Fixed)
Mirror image (and glamour) does not protect units from missiles or magic.
Blade wind reduced # o e
Flaming arrows increased path lvl.
Sloth scale -> 15% / step
Kala-Mukha warrior and Palankasha increased cost
Ulm EA archers not stealthy.
Bug Fixes, Tweaks, Enhancements v3.06:
Universal binary for Mac OS X.
Fixed some typos.
New spell for Man.
Name fixes for late era T'ien Chi.
Name fix for some Abysian humanbreds.
Darkness did not work properly regarding demons.
Modding: new commands: #domsummon, #domsummon2, #domsummon20.
Modding: new commands: #summon1, #summon5, #makemonster1-5.
Modding: #copy renamed to #copyspell in manual as well.
Dreams of R'lyeh could hang the game if cast upon a province with only mindless commanders.
Hippocampoi Fields summoned a human soldier who immediately drowned, fixed so it summons a hippocamus instead.
Miasma dominion affected C'tis income badly as well.
Modding manual updated.
Modding: Resistances can be modded to exceed 100%.
Modding: can disable nation with #era 0.
Modding: new commands: #seduce, #succubus, #charge.
--mapsbcol didn't work. (FIXED)
Defense commanders didn't receive mirror image properly. (FIXED)
Dragon mastery ability could disappear unexpectedly. (FIXED)
Bug Fixes, Tweaks, Enhancements v3.04:
New map by Jason Lutes
Cave provinces supported
New map command #allowedplayer
Some typos fixed
Iron Walls didn't work
Seduction message fixed
More special effects displayed in weapon info box
New spell mod command to restrict spells to certain nations
Modding manual updated
Mod command #defmult1b etc, didn't work with value 20
Fire Arrows didn't work for small bow, chakram or shuriken
Can send larger maps over network
Fix for map download on linux and osx
Added some popups in random map creator
Fixed Fata Morgana crashing
Fixed memory overwrite bug
Improved handling of corrupted turn files from dom3 server
Doom horrors could eat people without any reason, fixed
Monkey reanimation for Lanka, Kailasa, Bandar log and Patala
Atlantian ME heroes enabled
Deepthought agarthan EE hero enabled
Traitor Prince R'lyeh hero enabled
Mictlan heroes enabled
Eagle priest removed from mid era
Oni cost lowered
Vetala touch of madness resistible
Spectral shield for legionnaires and ganas
Devala summon for monkeys
Enchantment icon for rain fixed
Demons can see in the dark
Various minor stability improvements.
Bug Fixes, Tweaks, Enhancements v3.01:
Great Lion size 3.
Atlantian spearmen correct age and darkvision.
Shark knight have correct resource cost
Doom horrors less common.
Indep lizard warriors base prot ->3
Curse of stones affects only enemies in accordance with the manual
Wands no longer gives Chest Wounds
Sharpest tooth has correct stats
Nagini seduction fix
Polypal mother no longer ethereal
Event gives city and not motte-and-bailey
Mesmerize confuses/enrages target instead of enslaving
Triton recruitable in coastal kappa province fixed
Blessing can affect sacred undead.
All era gians gets longdead giants and soulless with reanimation and similar spells.
All era caelum soulless fix
All era ctis undead fix
Eater of the dead fix
Some nation description fixes
Tungalik dagger -> quarterstaff
No uw conscription for tien chi
Mod commands for sites: #gold, #res
Mod command: #ressize
Building of cave castle no longer produces simple hillfort
#castledef, #maxage, #startage, #older mod commands work properly
#owner fixed. Limit 25 removed
Weapon modding #cold, #fire, #shock, #secondaryeffect, #secondaryeffectallways didn't work properly
New weapon mod command: #poison
Lava warrior also had prec and enc swapped
Polypal Mother and some more are now female.
Nethgul no longer tries to kill his wielder.
More visible up/down arrow for scrolling commanders.
Fixed bug with cheat detection and alchemist's stone.
God epitet's could be cut off, fixed.
Ardmon's Soul Trap didn't work as advertised.
Tempest would crash the game if used in meele.
Possible to enter site ou ydon't own, fixed.
Max possible Dominion victory value increased.
S?s and Kirke and Kurgi have correct name.
Alcastor has correct priest lvl.
No more free kappas in UW fortresses
Watcher darkvision -> 100
Hog knight is now mounted.
Atlantis hero size -> 4
Flame corpse construction works now.
Azure mages are amphibious
Leviathan only castable under water
No longer possible to recruit city of tombs units if you're not ctis
Helhirding only recruitable from site (and double display removed)
Dwarven smith only recruitable from site (and double display removed)
Stargazer no feet
Burning one had prec and enc switched
Bitch queen crone shape has nature 1
Ram's Head got prot 2
Tribe warriors increased to 10 gold
Jaguar tribe slinger hide shield
Druids had low stats and age - stats increased a bit
Map editor fixes.
GUI performance improvments.
Improved spell modding.
New mod commands #uwfort, #deepfort.
Modding manual updated.
Map edit manual updated.
Guru gets rid of all afflictions when he gets a new body.
Message for guru reincarnation into new body.
Lure of the deep was castable over water, fixed.
Modding command #nratt didn't work.
When Charcoal Shield is replaced by the Champion's Trident, Fire Shield effect isn't removed. Fixed.
't' screen got top right exit button as well.
On the F1 Nation Overview screen, clicking on a province name with a province number higher than 1000, causes a magic site description to be displayed, fixed.
The Mummification spell available from Amon Hotep shows as no description available, fixed.
Windows alt-tab improvements.
Knights only attack in mid or late age
60 gold event -> 100 gold
Merman scout cost -> 25
Utg? cold preference -> +1
Daidalos got hammer
10+ new gold generating events.
Horror Seed spell could lock up the game.
Correct game name in credits.
No more snowfall events under water.
VP crowns disappeared at edges, fixed.
More than 1 VP / province wasn't displayed properly, fixed.
Glamour ability doesn't give mirror images to PD units or leaders at the start of combat, fixed.
If you use a 5 digit port for hosting a game the port number is not saved correctly, fixed.
Starting a new game with a random map but with same name as last game resulted in a bad map, fixed.
Dominions 3: The Awakening is available for Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux as a physical product (sorry, not available digitally). Shipping is fast and cheap, and now until September 7th you can save $8.00 off its regular price! Just follow the direct link on its above game page which will take you directly to our online store, the Gamers Front.
More articles about Dominions 3: The Awakening