Sony Online Entertainment CEO John Smedley revealed that its just released MMO DC Universe Online is the fastest selling game in the company's history and that they are "Working on out-of-stock problems for DCUO," claiming DCUO is the #1 selling title on Steam last week.
DCUO offers a dramatic online setting where players can enter the DC Universe and battle alongside or against their favorite DC Comics heroes and villains including such icons as Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and The Joker, as well as many other fan favorites such as Green Lantern, The Flash, Catwoman and Martian Manhunter. The action and drama will play out in such well-known locations as Gotham City and Metropolis among others.
Award-winning writer Marv Wolfman has joined the creative team at WildStorm Productions that is working with SOE to bring the DC Universe to life on the PS3 and the PC.
Supporting the game’s distinctive, dynamic look is a physics-based combat system that makes traditional role-based massively multiplayer online games a thing of the past. With DCUO, players will have virtual powers that feel truly epic in scope from the get-go. Fly around, grab a bus, and toss it at your foes. Shoot energy blasts from your power ring as you dash with incredible speed along the side of a skyscraper. Or turn rivals into ice cubes and then lob them from atop the Daily Planet building.
- Based on the distinctive, acclaimed artwork and designs of comic book legend Jim Lee.
- Iconic DC Comic settings and characters, from Gotham City to Arkham Asylum, Batman to Blue Beetle.
- Players can enter a persistent DC Universe and fight alongside their favorite heroes and villains to play their own adventure in the mythology of these legendary characters and locales.
- DCUO will be an online world that stays true to the DC Comics property and allows players to feel and act like super heroes or villains.
- Physics-based fighting turns vehicles, streetlights and other players into weapons, resulting in dynamic combat scenarios that are different every time.
DC Universe Online, rated T for Teen, will carry an anticipated retail price of US$59.99 for PlayStation 3 and US$49.99 for PC in North America. The game includes one 30-day game membership, with monthly subscriptions available thereafter for US$14.99. For customers playing the PC version of the game, DCUO will be included in SOE's all-in-one Station Access subscription.
More articles about DC Universe Online