Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary is a remastered version of the original Halo campaign, created in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the franchise. The Anniversary edition has a bounty of new features, including cooperative play over Xbox Live, a bundle of multiplayer maps reimagined for Xbox Live, new challenges and a new story.
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary immerses you in the landmark campaign and genre-defining multiplayer game that helped revolutionize the first-person shooter genre and sparked one of the most iconic science-fiction universes of all time.
The classic “Halo: Combat Evolved” map Hang ‘Em High, is set to make its glorious return in “Halo: Anniversary.” High Noon (also known as Hang ‘Em High in classic mode) combines a decade of poignant nostalgia with the adrenaline-pumping thrill of classic “Halo” multiplayer combat, to round out the cavalcade of seven fan-favourite multiplayer maps launching with “Halo: Anniversary.”
High Noon returns players to the familiar canyons and catwalks of Hang ‘Em High, now re-imagined for “Halo: Anniversary” with unprecedented detail. The vast generator complexes, which power this enormous slip-space portal, allow it to connect with an unknown number of locations across the galaxy. High Noon is a densely-packed arena of platforms, corridors and cover, best suited for team-based combat in both Slayer and Objective gametypes (4 - 12 players).
343 Industries also unveiled details about Kinect functionality in “Halo: Anniversary,” including voice commands and a new feature that lets players gather canonical information as they explore “Halo” and relive the iconic adventure:
- Analyze Mode – Analyze Mode is a Kinect-exclusive feature that allows players to “scan” items of interest within the “Halo: Anniversary” campaign to populate the Library, an interactive encyclopedia of “Halo” lore. Once in Analyze mode, new articles of interest can be added to the Library by focusing the reticule on them and saying “Scan.”
- The Library – The Library is an expansive index that provides detailed information on items of interest players have scanned through “Analyze Mode,” such as vehicles, characters, enemies and weapons. Through the use of gesture controls, players can explore the entire Library at any time and then return to the campaign to continue unlocking more secrets within the “Halo” universe.
- Voice Commands – Harness the technology of Kinect for Xbox 360 to reload your weapon, throw grenades, switch seamlessly between Classic and Re-mastered graphics and more, using only your voice.
ATLAS Companion Experience and Custom Challenges Usher in the Next Evolution of Halo Waypoint
Halo Waypoint has been the ultimate destination for “Halo” fans on Xbox LIVE since 2009, and this past weekend, 343 Industries offered a sneak peak of what’s in store for the groundbreaking online service this Christmas:
- New Halo Waypoint Interface – A revamped design and user interface lets players navigate Halo Waypoint and access the content they want more easily than ever before, whether they’re online, on their Xbox 360 or on their Windows Phone.
- Halo Waypoint ATLAS – Available on Windows Phones this Christmas, Halo Waypoint ATLAS (Advanced Tactical Assault System) is a new mobile experience that offers players a detailed, top-down view of any “Halo: Anniversary” or “Halo: Reach” map in real-time, letting them monitor teammates’ movements and positions as they play. This innovative app encourages strategic gameplay and offers a fun companion experience to any multiplayer match.
- Custom Challenges – Building upon the “Halo” series’ genre-defining user-creation toolset, 343 Industries is empowering the community even further by introducing Custom Challenges in “Halo: Anniversary” and “Halo: Reach.” For the first time, players will be able to issue custom Challenges and create friendly competitions with Xbox friends, unlocking infinite creative possibilities to invent and test their “Halo” skills against one another.
Players will also be able to earn “Halo: Reach” Credits by completing Custom Challenges, infusing new creative potential into the game’s deep player progression system, and leveraging all the great new multiplayer maps from “Halo: Anniversary.”
- Stunningly remastered campaign. Relive the award-winning adventure that defined Halo: Combat Evolved as one of the best games of the decade with breathtaking next-gen graphics and audio remastered for the Xbox 360. Engage in epic-scale battles against the backdrop of the eponymous Halo ringworld, and relive nostalgic memories with the ability to toggle Classic mode to play the original version.
- Online campaign co-op. For the first time, experience the story that started it all with a friend on Xbox Live and launch a cooperative assault against the Covenant, whether you live across the street or halfway around the world.
- Classic Halo multiplayer maps reimagined. Wage battle on six detailed remakes of some of the most beloved Halo multiplayer maps of all time, and bring the fight to the Covenant on a stunning and resonant new Firefight map.1 Remastered in the Halo: Reach engine and inspired by maps from Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2, these iconic battlefields reignite the heart-pounding multiplayer action of the original favorites and let you relive epic confrontations like you've never experienced them.Developed in collaboration with Certain Affinity, the new multiplayer maps are included on the Halo: Anniversary game disc, which means players will not need to own the original Halo: Reach game to play. The first of the new revealed remakes is the fan-favorite map Damnation.
- New challenges and enhanced story. Unlock up to 1,000 Achievement points as you clash with online opponents and battle through the campaign, and uncover never-before-revealed backstories told in motion-graphic form that foreshadow new mysteries in the story of Halo 4.
More articles about Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary