At the end of the 21st century, the continuing exhaustion of Earth's resources sparked a furious struggle for dominance, ultimately leading to all-out conflict. Billions perished as the Final Wars raged across the globe.
As nations crumbled and civil society was in its death throes, one of the super-nations that actually started the conflict devised a plan to win the war by simply outliving its rivals. This resulted in the creation of The Continoma Project – a massive, self-sufficient mind database capable of storing the memories and thoughts of humans. The leaders of the super-nation that created Continoma ensured their entry within the database and brought with them the seeds of what they believed was a thriving community of docile and loyal citizens.
Humanity outside Continoma Project all but destroyed itself – the great societies that once warred amongst themselves were reduced to nomadic tribes and eventually regressed to primal existence or simply died out, long before the irradiated and polluted world became habitable again. While life on Earth was going through its most dramatic extinction and adaptation, the Librarium – a nearly-indestructible fortress tended by artificial intelligence and robots – kept the dormant sentience of humanity’s chosen safe for the future.
Players find themselves immersed is a continuing power struggle between the leaders behind the Continoma Project, called the Continoma, and the Noir, an armed resistance group formed by a former Continoma leader. Their continuous struggle has weakened them considerably and even as they remain the two most powerful forces on Enterra, they depend much on the other smaller organizations for their survival and victory on the island.
Masthead Studios announced that its massively multiplayer online game Earthrise is removing the monthly fee for everyone who has already bought the game. The changes will come into effect starting December 1, 2011. In addition, the company announced that they are transitioning Earthrise to a free to play model in the beginning of the next year.
"We decided to let all our players unlimited gaming experience until we all are satisfied with the experience in our game. At the moment Earthrise features one of the best visuals, content, and gameplay of all sci-fi MMOs on the market. However it is missing polish and has annoyances that spoil the fun in the game. We are learning from our experience and that is why we will remove monthly charges until we bring the game to a quality state that is satisfactory to us and our players", said Atanas Atanasov, CEO of Masthead Studios.
The company also announced that after reaching their quality goals, they will change the business model to free-to-play. According to Atanasov: “The free-to-play model will offer convenience for players, it will not be „pay to win” with items that ruin the balance of the game”.
Meanwhile Earthrise will be used as a test for the new free-2-play model and Masthead will limit the creation of new accounts. Invitations will be sent to selected new players and a new sign-up option will be provided. All existing subscribers will receive a number of invitations to bring their friends in the game.
Featuring a unique skill-based advancement system and player-driven economy, as well as extensive, meaningful player-vs.-player combat, Earthrise gives you innumerable choices to forge your destiny. Whether you're a noble soldier in the raging conflict between the Utopia and the rebellion, a criminal hiding from the law or a world-renowned engineer whose power extends into intricate trade and politics, your actions will echo throughout the game world.
Masthead has employed its own engine to craft the stunning graphics and atmosphere in the game, as well as to handle its dynamic combat mechanics. Explore the diverse and sprawling capital city of Sal Vitas and surrounding unclaimed territories. Fight with advanced PvP mechanics featuring customizable power armor, huge mechanized exoskeletons, and an arsenal of weapons to control contested lands and their resources. Influence the market-based economy by working for the corporate world or trading on the black market, all based in immense and highly customized crafting and offline play systems. Players will shape the society in the beginning of a new mankind; or they will create their own dystopia.
- A unique post-apocalyptic setting where the cloned remnants of mankind battle to survive and rebuild. Yet while humanity may have evolved, human nature remains as treacherous as ever…
- Highly customizable characters with over 100 different skills, abilities, and tactics. No artificial "class" restrictions get in the way of making the character you want.
- Fast-paced action combat featuring dynamic targeting, customizable power armor, huge mechanized exoskeletons, and hundreds of high-tech weapons.
- Sophisticated Player versus Player (PvP) mechanics that let you fight for the established order, join the revolutionary underground, or carve your own bloody path as an independent criminal.
- Territorial conquest and defense that matters. In your domain, you create your own rules – or let anarchy reign.
- Character progression that keeps you advancing in your career even when you’re not logged in.
- An advanced market-based economy with in-game supply and demand based on player activities.
- Deep crafting mechanics that let you design and manufacture unique items from customizable blueprints and raw resources.
More articles about Earthrise