After an age of warfare, the superpowers of the land of Valoran have come together to form a governing body that will settle all disputes behind the closed doors of the Institute of War. Their task is a noble one — to lift the impossible weight of bloody war off the shoulders of the world and place it upon a select few — The League of Legends. On the Fields of Justice, legendary Champions forge alliances and resolve their differences in battle arenas. In the League there is one rule that reigns over all else: Winner rules all.
In League of Legends, players take on the role of a persistent Summoner avatar that gazes upon the battlefield from above and influences battles by taking command of a chosen Champion. During each online multiplayer play session, gamers will choose one of dozens of unique Champions wielding diverse skills and abilities, and engage in fast-paced team-oriented combat to bring their foes to ruin. Champions will gain levels, items, and abilities that enable them to slay their opponents and augment the strength of their allies by battling with enemy minions, foul beasts, deadly turrets and enemy Champions. Players also advance their Summoner’s rank and power to gain new abilities and items, assisting their Champions in battle.
League of Legends emphasizes team-oriented gameplay and players must work together in order to defeat the opposing team. Players will be able to communicate easily through in-game lounges and chat rooms, and forums will act as a conversational hub for a wide variety of discussions amongst community members. League of Legends will feature custom-built multiplayer support including matchmaking, stat tracking, clan support, anti-cheat systems, dedicated in-game ladders and Leaverbuster technology. In addition to extensive multiplayer features, League of Legends will include a single-player mode where players can learn how to play and practice new strategies by engaging robust Bot-AI.
Riot Games announced that over four million people play League of Legends every day – an increase of 280% since Riot last announced the size of its community in July 2011. With 11.5 million monthly active players, peak concurrency reaching 1.3 million, and a registered player base of over 30 million worldwide, League of Legends is about to enter its second competitive season as one of the top five PC games in North America and Europe.
Set to begin in the very near future, League of Legends: Season Two will feature a five million dollar prize pool – the largest in eSports history – culminating in a global $2 million tournament where Riot will crown the best League of Legends team in the world. Players can look forward to comprehensive coverage of the eSports scene, game features like spectator mode and ranked teams, and a competitive structure that encourages talented players to team up and compete.
“The incredible passion and dedication of our players is positively inspiring,” said Brandon Beck, co-founder and CEO of Riot Games. “Our community’s boundless enthusiasm is why they are central to every decision we make at Riot.”
“It’s staggering to think about the fact that over a billion games of League of Legends have been played since launch,” said Marc Merrill, co-founder and President of Riot Games. “In 2012, we intend to deliver even more for our growing audience.”
Key Features :
- Play as dozens of unique Champions with diverse skills and abilities while engaging in fast-paced team-oriented combat.
- Compete in a variety of highly stylized and unique handcrafted battle scenarios.
- Create your own persistent Summoner avatar and customize your appearance through achievements that you earn in game.
- Advance your Summoner in rank and power to gain skills and abilities that give you an edge in battle.
- Join clans and teams to compete with other players in tournaments and organized leagues.
- Assemble Legendary items for your Champion by forging together basic items you obtain on the battlefield. Choose from over 200 uniquely crafted items to augment your Champion's power.
- Robust matchmaking and detailed stat tracking help to ensure balanced games for new players and veterans alike.
- Unlock new content through persistent gameplay and mastering the game.
- Integrated LeaverbusterTM technology helps ensure people stay for the whole game!
- Participate in the creation of League of Legends through our Suggestion Engine the community will have an unprecedented voice in what new content is created and implemented into the game.
And much, much more...
League of Legends is designed by a decorated group of developers with credits that include PC & console blockbusters, as well as part of the team that created the popular Warcraft 3 mod DotA-Allstars.
More articles about League of Legends