At a preview event held in London, SVP, Worldwide Studios Europe Michael Denny, highlighted the message that PlayStation Vita is a state-of-the-art portable device, with games at its heart, by announcing the full range of PS Vita launch titles, including two new 1st Party titles, Unit 13 and MotorStorm RC, as well as unveiling a range of augmented reality experiences for PS Vita. Commenting on the announced software line up, Denny called it "one of the best launch line ups of any games console, ever launched."
SCEE PS Vita titles confirmed as available at launch on February 22nd 2012:
- Uncharted: Golden Abyss
- WipEout 2048
- Reality Fighters
- Little Deviants
- ModNation RacersTM: Road Trip
- Everybody's Golf
- Escape Plan
- Top Darts
- Hustle Kings
- Unit 13
- MotorStorm RC
The already impressive list will be reinforced by a compelling array of 3rd party offerings which will launch alongside the console in February.
Full list of third party titles announced for PS Vita:
- Army Corps of Hell, Square Enix
- Asphalt: Injection, Ubisoft
- Disgaea 3 Return, NIS America
- Dungeon Hunter: Alliance, Ubisoft
- Dynasty Warriors Next, Tecmo Koei
- EA Sports FIFA Football, EA
- F1 2011, Codemasters
- Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7, WB Games
- Lumines Electronic Symphony, Ubisoft
- Michael Jackson: The Experience HD, Ubisoft
- Ninja Gaiden (working title), Tecmo Koei
- OddWorld: Strangers Wrath, OddWorld Inhabitants
- Puddle, Neko Entertainment
- Pure Chess, RebelPlay
- Putty Squad Vita, System 3
- Rayman Origins, Ubisoft
- Ridge Racer, Bandai Namco
- Shinobido 2, Bandai Namco
- Silent Hill: Book of Memories, Konami
- Stardrone Extreme, BeatShapers
- Super Monkey Ball Banana Splitz, SEGA
- Supremacy MMA, 505 Games
- Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack, Drinkbox Studios
- The Treasures of Montezuma Blitz, Alawar Entertainment
- Touch My Katamari, Bandai Namco
- Troopies, Bloober Team
- Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom, Capcom
- Urban Trials, Tate Multimedia
- Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition, SEGA
- Orc Attack, Casual Brothers
- Ben 10 Galactic Racing, Bandai Entertainment
- Dragon's Racing, Ignition Entertainment
- Robot Rescue Revolution, Teyon
- Mortal Kombat, WB Games
- Assassin's Creed, Ubisoft
- Bioshock, Take Two
- Street Fighter X Tekken, Capcom
- Call of Duty, Activision Blizzard
Augmented Reality Brings Your Games to Life
PlayStation has led the way in augmented reality gaming since the launch of the EyeToy® USB camera for PlayStation®2 in 2003. On the current console generation, EyePet burst onto PlayStation 3, introducing a new family audience to this magical technology.
These experiences were not confined to home consoles as PlayStation brought augmented reality gaming to (PSPTM) PlayStation®Portable, both with EyePetTM, and the innovative InvizimalsTM franchise.
At the PS Vita preview event, Michael Denny revealed the next phase in augmented reality for PlayStation. Six augmented reality cards will be available at launch with free games to download from PlayStation Store. These will allow gamers to enjoy a selection of games that make full use of the impressive AR capabilities of PS Vita.
PlayStation also revealed that PS Vita will be the first games console to utilise WAAR (Wide Area Augmented Reality) technology. In contrast to familiar single-card AR, WAAR uses up to six cards and allows for a much larger gameplay area than gamers have previously experienced.
PS Vita will also support markerless AR, that can do away with cards altogether. The addition of this captivating technology means that gamers will have so much to play, and share, with PS Vita right out of the box.
Cross-play means players can compete via challenges and leaderboards on PS3, or with PS Vita, as well as continue their experience from one to the other.
3G & Wi-Fi: Connecting PS Vita to a Social Revolution
This is a device packed with powerful social features that connect users to the internet, their social essentials and other gamers. As well as the Facebook, Skype, foursquare and twitter applications already revealed, Denny also revealed the addition of Flickr to the line-up.
PS Vita will be available in two SKUs at launch; the Wi-Fi only model and a 3G/Wi-Fi model for the ultimate ‘always-on' internet experience. Vodafone will be the 3G partner throughout selected countries in the SCEE region.
PS Vita boasts a number of social applications that will allow gamers to be constantly connected to their PlayStation life, as well as those of friends and fellow gamers.
- Party enables gamers to enjoy voice chat or text chat with their friends, not only while they play online, but also when playing different games or using different applications such as the internet browser
- Live Area is an interactive portal that enables you to connect to your contacts, and the content. Players can check the latest news; receive instant gaming updates from your friends, and then comment back on what friends have said.
- near is a feature that enables you to find out what your friends in the same area are playing right now and share and discover gifts which can be used in game. Simply by sharing your game information, you can meet your friends and new players, regardless of what games they are playing
- Cross-Play isthe ability to play head to head in real time across platforms. PS Vita can connect wirelessly to PS3 allowing PS3 quality graphics to be seen on the PS Vita's beautiful five-inch OLED Screen
More articles about PS Vita