NeverDead begins in the waking hours of peace and calm, when the world is under threat of being consumed by a demonic plague. Centuries have passed since the world succumbed to an unforeseen shadow of evil, and a hero was made an immortal by demons. These demons have risen once again in the present day causing unrelenting mayhem reinforced by destructible environments within the game. Now using his immortalic regenerative powers re-assembling his own body to evade death, the hero carries out the only salvation the world will know, for he is Never Dead.
NeverDead stars an immortal hero called Bryce Boltzmann who, alongside his partner Arcadia, works for an agency tasked with dealing with demonic incursions. As demons from the dawn of time emerge on present-day Earth, so Bryce – armed with an arsenal of guns and a Butterfly-Blade – and the gun-toting Arcadia must locate and destroy the hostile invaders. As the malformed adversaries appear, the heavily-armed Bryce must protect his sidekick and work together to kill them all.
However, as the monsters get larger and more vicious, the side-effect of Bryce’s immortality is revealed. For, as the player is attacked by the various miscreants, Bryce can be torn limb from limb, but can simply reattach the parts to his body. Even when all limbs have been removed, Bryce can roll around as a head, looking to reattach his lost parts. He can even use his amputated body parts as weapons, throwing arms into clusters of monsters, and still firing the attached gun, or lobbing his head into seemingly impossible areas, to gain access to new parts of the map.
“For NeverDead, we‘ve gone all out to change the approach the player takes in battle,” explained Shinta Nojiri, creator of NeverDead for Konami Digital Entertainment. “Losing a limb is a mere inconvenience and Bryce’s physical skills allow a wealth of ways to take out the enemy – from close-range combat, to throwing limbs into clusters of monsters and shooting them remotely! This adds a level of humour to the game that brings the world-weary main character to life, while players can revel in game worlds that can are fully interactive and eminently destructible.”
Konami has also confirmed that NeverDead will also be the focus of DLC elements and add-ons, further details for which will follow soon.
- Live forever and become immortal through a unique decapitation and regeneration mechanic that offers a different approach to 3rd Person Action gameplay. Detach your arm and use it as an exploding detonation device against the enemy, or tear off your head and use it as a scout within the level design.
- Fight in critical situations making use of the hero's immortality! Get electrocuted and shoot electric bullets, catch on fire and use your body as a light source, fight enemies in a hurricane or on the highway among passing cars and several other invigorating environments.
- Combination of various weaponry at your disposal including an array of guns for long-range attacks. Whip out the Butterly Blade to slash and destroy what is in front of you.
- Online co-operative and competitive "Challenges" against the enemy or each other. Play with up to 4 players and outwit those you're going against using the decapitation/regeneration elements as strategy.
- Destroy the world you are in as wide-ranging destructible environments will influence how players take out the enemy. Large-scale destruction includes entire buildings, or smaller-scale destruction with pillars, the floor and interior wall sections.
- Enhance character abilities with an experience leveling system that ramps up player abilities, weapon power and unlocking content within the game.
More articles about NeverDead