The recharged NFL Blitz offers fans the opportunity to battle rivals 7-on-7, fight their way through the Blitz Gauntlet, or take over the online leaderboards in Blitz Battles. Challenging to master, yet easy to pick up and play, NFL Blitz has something exciting to offer for all football fans.
While chasing their dreams of a Super Bowl championship, Pro Bowlers Roddy White, Ray Rice and Patrick Willis will vie for another honor – a spot on the first-ever digital cover from EA SPORTS. The All-Pro appearing on the NFL Blitz digital cover will be determined by fans, who can cast their ballot at VGA.spike.com beginning at 8:00 PM ET / 5:00 PT on Saturday, December 10 during the 2011 Spike “Video Game Awards” (#VGA). The most prolific quarterback and wide receiver duo of all time, Hall of Famers Joe Montana and Jerry Rice, will be on hand to announce the winner at the end of the ceremonies. Telecasting from Los Angeles, CA and featuring some of the most notable names in video games, entertainment, music, sports and more, the “VGAs,” honoring the outstanding achievements within the video game industry over the past year, will premiere LIVE on Spike TV, MTV 2 and Spike.com on Saturday, December 10 at 8:00 PM ET/5:00 PM PT.
“I can’t think of a better way to welcome back the beloved NFL Blitz franchise than by having two of the greatest athletes to ever put on a helmet announce which one of their contemporaries –Roddy White, Ray Rice or Patrick Willis – will represent the game when it hits the PLAYSTATION Network and Xbox LIVE Arcade in January,” said Geoff Keighley, executive in charge, publisher relations, Spike.
“Considering there are a multitude of fans of the legendary NFL Blitz games, we are thrilled to usher in a new era for the franchise with the all-new title, which is in high definition for the first time,” said EA SPORTS marketing director Anthony Stevenson. “Fittingly, this will also be the first time EA SPORTS will honor a digital cover athlete and we are excited that the fans will be such an integral part of this milestone.”
- Classic Blitz Gameplay – Fast-paced football action at its best, featuring the 7-on-7 wide-open gameplay of the original arcade hit. Two minute quarters, 30 yards for a first down, no penalties, exciting tackles and, of course, players ON FIRE!
- Blitz in HD – For the first time in franchise history, Blitz hits the gridiron in high-definition. Take to the field with top players from each of the 32 NFL teams, play in all 31 NFL stadiums and battle fantasy bosses from the Gauntlet at the Blitz Coliseum.
- Ultra-Responsive Controls – Running at 60fps/60Hz, the pick-up-and-play controls perfectly replicate the twitch arcade experience. Disrupt the opposition with stiff arms, knock down receivers before a catch, dive to tackle ball carriers, and hurdle pass for the big play…all with the touch of a button.
- Blitz Battles – Challenge the competition online in head-to-head matches or team up (on a single console or online) 2-on-2, ranking up local, regional, and national Battle Boards - all the way to the Blitz Hall of Fame.
- Blitz Gauntlet – The ultimate single-player challenge! Battle through a multi-tiered Gauntlet, taking on NFL teams and exclusive fantasy character bosses in the Blitz Coliseum. Take down the fantasy character bosses to unlock them for use in all modes.
- Elite League – Join the Elite League and strive to create the perfect squad of ultimate players. Purchase card packs using Blitz Bucks earned through online* games to collect players to customize your lineup. Collect an entire NFL team of players to unlock powerful Pro and Ultimate players that give your team the competitive edge. Change the game in unique ways by acquiring and using Power Ups to further your advantage on the field. For the ultimate rush, risk one of your valuable players in a winner-takes-all Risk and Reward game.
- Online Co-op – Grab a teammate on the couch or join a friend online and crush the competition in classic Blitz 2-on-2 style. Track your records against friends to show who owns the Blitz gridiron.
- Blitz Store—Earn Blitz Bucks in every online* game mode, then head to the Blitz Store to purchase a ton of intense content. Build your Blitz Elite League team by purchasing card packs and power-ups. Customize your Blitz Battles team with new logos and banners. Take the Blitz experience to the next level with a slew of gameplay and visual cheats. Go behind the scenes and unlock concept art and the famous Blitz cheerleaders.
- Blitz Booth Commentary – The two-man booth includes past NFL Blitz play-by-play announcer, Tim Kitzrow, along with actor Brian Haley. The perfect pair to voice NFL Blitz, Kitzrow and Haley’s humorous commentary augments the over-the-top arcade football experience.
NFL Blitz, rated “E10+” , will be available via digital download on Xbox Live Arcade for 1200 points and Playstation Network for $14.99.
More articles about NFL Blitz