The fourth game from Oddworld Inhabitants, Stranger’s Wrath, tells the tale of a bounty hunter who, while catching criminals for bounties, attempts to conceal a secret that, if revealed, could endanger his life.
The first full-on action title in the series, mixing 3rd and 1st person combat / shooter gameplay, the game was set in the Wild West of Oddworld, far from the industrial lands that housed Abe and Munch’s tales. The game adapted Oddworld’s unique Gamespeak feature, using it more as a soft hint system to give the player subtle clues while preserving the hard-core gaming integrity. The game also debuted a ‘live ammo’ concept where the ammunition was made of living creatures, which the player had to be capture in order to use.
Just Add Water had planned on shipping with support for stereoscopic 3D/PlayStation Move and a few other little things, but due to time limits those features WILL be added in an update in a couple months’ time, along with some other little extras.
So what’s been updated in the HD version …
- All 84 character models have been updated with increased polygon counts and higher resolution textures.
- Wolvark Sloghandlers now release Slogs instead of Slegs.
- Professor Dimble now has glasses and an academic tome.
- New female voices have been recorded for two characters.
- Made Blisterz Booty unkillable
- All environments have been given higher resolution textures.
- Most vegetation has been updated with increased polygon counts and/or higher resolution textures.
- A lot of environment now reflects in water where it didn’t before.
- Many, many pipes and barrels were rounded.
- New Easter Eggs added to the game.
- Added Blisterz Booty’s broken crud gun to the floor by his bola’d body.
- Sekto’s Office has been changed to more closely resemble than seen in the FMV
- All game audio (voice, sound effects and music) have been upgraded to 16-bit 44KHz from 8-bit 11KHz or less!
- Support for 5.1, Dolby Digitial and DTS.
- Everything now runs at 720p, 60 FPS, and in widescreen.
- All menus have been updated with a new design based on original unused concepts.
- New posters now occupy the inventory menu when no bounty is accepted.
- All armour upgrades now actually increase Stranger’s health.
- Added difficulty levels to the game: Easy, Medium and Hard.
- In Easy mode:
- Stranger has twice the health
- Enemies have half the health and stamina
- Enemies’ stamina recovers half as fast
- In Normal Mode:
- Stranger’s health and armour for later in the game have been re-balanced.
- In Hard mode:
- Stranger has a third less health.
- Enemies stamina recovers a third quicker.
- 37 Trophies: 23 bronze, 8 silver, 5 gold, 1 platinum
- 37 pieces of unlockable concept art
- Five unlockable movie
Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD will be available for $14.99.
More articles about Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD