LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game will be based in the world of the globally successful film franchise, incorporating storylines, locations and characters from the first three films (“Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl,” “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest” and “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End”) as well as the upcoming fourth film, “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.”
Players can take on the roles of more than 70 characters and experience the pirate adventure, irreverent humor and amazing creatures of the Pirates of the Caribbean films, through action-adventure gameplay and hilariously quirky LEGO cut scenes. Throughout the game, players will also have the freedom to explore environments from the highly acclaimed movie series in more than 20 levels. The game features two-player cooperative mode, in which players each control a character to experience the story together, and freeplay mode, which lets players return to levels to discover new items.
The game will include unique features such as “Pirate Duel,” a chance encounter system, as well as high resolution graphics and support for Play Coins.
“The Nintendo 3DS lets players experience a LEGO game like never before, and allows us to add new depth to the Pirates of the Caribbean universe,” said Adam Sussman, senior vice president of publishing, Disney Interactive Studios. “The game incorporates new features such as the Pirate Duel system and high resolution 3D effects to deliver fun and clever gameplay that fans of the LEGO series expect.”
The Nintendo 3DS “Pirate Duel” mode allows players to cross swords with nearby Nintendo 3DS owners using the Street Pass™ feature. With Street Pass, the Nintendo 3DS automatically detects and communicates with other Nintendo 3DS devices. When an encounter with another Nintendo 3DS is initiated, “Pirate Duel” pits the players against each other in a battle where they will select from a series of attacks and blocks to be utilized by their LEGO pirates. Players can participate in duels to earn Play Coins that will unlock and allow them to use new characters. By winning duels, players also gain experience points, allowing them to move up the ranks and gain new rewards including extra health, new moves, new titles and extra characters. Players of the 3DS version will have the ability to turn off the 3D mode and play the game in standard 2D.
- Exploration – Players will explore familiar locations filled with interactive LEGO objects and encounter more than 70 memorable and new characters while making their way through more than 20 levels
- Combat – The LEGO Caribbean is full of danger! Intense sword fighting moves give the LEGO minifigure a brand new pirate flavor
- Unforgettable Cut Scenes – Everyone’s favorite scenes from the Pirates of the Caribbean films are re-rendered with LEGO minifigures, in the humorous style synonymous with LEGO video games
- Puzzles – Players will need all their pirate cunning to find the hidden LEGO treasures and discover the game’s many secrets
- Two-Player Co-op – Players can join a friend or family member in the same room for two-player “drop-in/drop-out” cooperative action
- Freeplay – Building a collection of characters throughout the game, players can then use their distinctive abilities to gain access to previously unavailable areas
More articles about LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game