Alma returns in F.E.A.R. 3 but this time her sons Point Man and Paxton Fettel introduce divergent co-op, giving players distinctly different abilities affecting their own play as well as the experience of their co-op partner. Gamers participate in single player or co-op modes as Point Man, a genetically enhanced super soldier originally introduced in F.E.A.R., or they can play cooperatively as his conniving brother Paxton Fettel, whose incredible telekinetic power has given him life beyond the grave. The game is developed by Day 1 Studios, developer of the original F.E.A.R. console games in collaboration with Monolith Studios.
Summary of Multiplayer modes:
- Fu**ing Run!: Chased by Alma’s always-encroaching Wall of Death, the F.E.A.R. squad must push forward through Armacham forces and reach the checkpoints before they are swallowed up. If any teammate is lost to Alma’s Wall of Death, it is game over for everyone. The only way to survive is to F**king Run! Alma’s Wall of Death was inspired by the cover of John Carpenter’s Prince of Darkness.
- Contractions: Contractions places gamers as members of an isolated F.E.A.R. squad facing off against Alma’s minions. As a team you must work together to collect weapons and build barricades during the calm between Alma’s contractions. Each time a contraction hits, a wave of supernatural and possessed enemies flood into the area. To make matters worse, a paranormal fog rolls in with each wave, getting thicker and deeper as you try to make your last stand. Dangerous things lurk in the fog, including Alma herself. Only by cooperating can the squad survive all twenty waves. Inspired by John Carpenter’s The Fog.
- Soul Survivor: Soul Survivor adds a twist to the cooperative gaming experience. While players are working together as a team to survive attacks from incoming soldiers, Alma will corrupt one of the team, forcing the player to turn against their allies. The Chosen Player has a set amount of time to split up the F.E.A.R. squad and Corrupt them, all while the Armacham soldiers continue assaulting the team. Each player that is picked off joins the Corrupted side and must help to exterminate the remaining squad members. Only the strongest player can make it out alive as the Soul Survivor. Inspired by Steve Niles’ 30 Days of Night where the survivors are taken down one by one and turned against those that remain.
- Soul King: All players start as a Spectre, a ghost with the ability to possess human enemies. Players fight to possess and kill AI combatants, as well as collect the caches of souls that other players release once killed. Picking up souls adds to your points, but if you’re killed you lose half your souls. The player with the highest score at the end of the timed round is the Soul King.
To further ensure extreme terror in F.E.A.R. 3, legendary horror director John Carpenter (Halloween, Village of the Damned) and critically acclaimed horror comic and script writer Steve Niles (30 Days of Night) have provided consultation to enhance several of the game’s frightening aspects. Steve Niles co-wrote the game script with the development team and John Carpenter provided his expertise in crafting the in-game cinematics.
F.3.A.R. continues the F.E.A.R. brand legacy, unleashing a paranormal horror first person shooter that delivers frenetic combat grounded in reality. F.3.A.R. evolves the brand, introducing Divergent Co-op for two players: deep, social gameplay that gives players distinctly different abilities that affect their own play as well as the experience of gamers they are playing with…or against. Players can take on the roles of Point Man, a genetically enhanced soldier with superhuman reflexes and the ability to manipulate time, or the undead spirit of his brother Paxton Fettel, a paranormal entity who possesses incredible psychic powers.
F.3.A.R.’s frenetic combat experience empowers players with robust features like active 360 degree cover, evolved slow-mo modes, phasing portal systems and best in class mech combat to face an army of soldiers and paranormal enemies that don’t follow the rules of reality.
Nine months ago, Point Man and his F.E.A.R. squad were tapped to stop a telepathically gifted cannibal who had begun a murderous rampage. Point Man learned the target was his brother, Paxton Fettel, working alongside their tortured and psychically powerful mother, Alma Wade. Despite this revelation, Point Man followed orders to destroy them and subsequently ravaged the surrounding city and most of his F.E.A.R. team. Now, it is clear that Alma’s psychic influence survived— and worse, she is about to birth something that could destroy the world. Fettel has returned from death with an unclear agenda, refusing to leave Point Man’s side and asking for help to reach Alma. The remaining F.E.A.R. squad is still trying to complete their mission. With his chain of command broken and Point Man calling his own shots, where will his allegiance lie?
- Blood Runs Deep, F.E.A.R. Runs Deeper: F.3.A.R delivers all the hallmarks that define the F.E.A.R. brand: terrifying paranormal horror, frenetic combat, and a dramatic storyline.
- Never Face Fear Alone: F.3.A.R. evolves the brand, introducing Divergent Co-op: deep, social gameplay that gives players distinctly different abilities that affect their own play as well as the experience of gamers they are playing with…or against.
- Frenetic Combat: Active 360 degree cover, evolutionary slow-mo modes, phasing portal systems and best in class mech combat aid players in facing an army of soldiers and paranormal enemies.
- Experience the Almaverse: The game world is tainted by the Almaverse, the alternate dimension where Alma’s psychic essence subsists. New sinister and fantastical enemy creatures birthed in Alma’s warped mind spill into reality and intensify the panic.
- Generative Scare System: Proprietary technology creates random scare events to increase the feeling of isolation and unpredicatability when playing alone or with a friend, and offers new experiences each time gamers play through.
- Masters of Horror: Legendary horror film director John Carpenter and horror writer Steve Niles provide their expertise and guidance to take F.3.A.R.’s intensity to the next level. Niles co-wrote the twisted storyline that reveals the motivations and family dynamics of the main characters, and Carpenter helped craft the cinematics for maximum storytelling and fright factor.
More articles about F.E.A.R. 3