Set in the fictional Canopy Kingdom, Skullgirls pits players against ranks of deadly but beautiful opponents in an attempt to control the enigmatic Skull Heart, a mysterious artifact with the power to bestow wishes – but not without a substantial price. Should the soul be less than pure, both the victor’s wish and her being shall be corrupted into a living nightmare that haunts humanity. She will be known as the Skullgirl, a monstrous entity of immense power.
Skullgirls uses advanced graphical technology to feature the unique art of Alex Ahad (Scott Pilgrim, Lava Punch) in collaboration with renowned tournament champion Mike “Mike Z” Zaimont.
Get ready for the future of online play in console fighting games: Skullgirls is kicking slow connections to the curb as it will incorporate GroundStorm Studios' Good Game, Peace OutO) proprietary networking technology to enhance the game's online fighting experience. Designed specifically to enable fast-action games online, GGPO's technology is used as a tool to play classic, old-school fighting games over the internet. Skullgirls will be the first new fighting game to integrate the technology for home consoles, allowing for a smooth, delay-free online gaming experience.
"GGPO's latency-hiding techniques are specifically designed for the kind of fast-action gameplay found in Skullgirls," said GGPO creator and founder of GroundStorm Studios, Tony Cannon. "They eliminate input 'lag' to ensure that the moves, combos and reversals you learn will work identically online and off, even over slower network connections."
GroundStorm Studios' GGPO networking technology is designed to solve the internet latency issues that often plague online gameplay, allowing it to mirror the experience of playing with friends locally. With GGPO, players across the world can easily play games against each other online as if they were next to each other in the arcade or on the couch at home.
"Skullgirls is really a love letter to fighting game fans new and old, and we are aiming to deliver the best experience possible," said Jason Donnell, president and COO, Autumn Games. "GGPO is helping us accomplish our goal by enhancing Skullgirls' fully-featured online mode. At the end of the day, it's all about delivering a polished, high-quality game, and the integration of GroundStorm's technology ensures that Skullgirls fans will enjoy the same high-quality action with friends, whether they are a few feet from each other or thousands of miles apart."
- Femme Fatales: Players can choose from eight inimitable characters, including amnesiac schoolgirl Filia and sassy circus performer Cerebella, as they fight their way through a gauntlet of deadly opponents in an attempt to control the enigmatic Skull Heart.
- Pretty as a Picture: Using Reverge Labs' proprietary sprite-based game engine, Skullgirls’ graphics combine 2D art with real-time lighting effects, a feature never before achieved in a game of its type. The Dark Deco visuals are drawn at twice the resolution usually shown on 1080p high-definition screens, allowing for more detailed characters and in-game effects.
- As You Wish: Players have various ways to battle it out in Skullgirls, including VS mode, arcade mode, story mode and training mode, encountering different aspects of the fighting experience with each type of gameplay.
- Battle it Out in the Canopy Kingdom: As players compete for the Skull Heart, they will fight in numerous themed stages throughout the Canopy Kingdom, including an evil underground labyrinth, an extravagant casino and a moving glass-windowed elevator with dramatic views of the city. Each stage combines static hand-drawn art with lively effects to create dynamic environments.
- Bragging Rights: Players can easily share their in-game victories with the rest of the world. Replays and highlights of matches can be uploaded directly to YouTube or Facebook; ideal for tournament recording or simply boasting a successful battle.
More articles about Skullgirls