America is lost. Four years after the epic conclusion of Resistance 2, dishonorably discharged Sentinel Joseph Capelli is in hiding from the invading Chimeran menace with a pocket of survivors, including his new wife and young son. But when Dr. Fyodor Malikov arrives with a desperate plan, he sets into motions the events of Resistance 3.
Set in a brutal, alternate 1950s universe, America has been successfully conquered and destroyed by the deadly Chimeran race, forcing the last remaining human survivors to seek refuge in hiding. Players must take on the role of Joseph Capelli, the last surviving Sentinel from a clandestine military program, as he comes out of hiding to journey across a land of ruin in a heroic fight for survival against the merciless Chimera. In addition to an epic single-player campaign, Resistance 3 will offer two-player online or split-screen co-op through the single-player campaign, and a new, focused progression-based multiplayer experience.
It’s August 1957, four years after the conclusion of Resistance 2 that left Lieutenant Nathan Hale dead on the battlefield against the invading Chimeran race. Joseph Capelli has been dishonorably discharged from the U.S. Army for killing Hale. With the Chimera completely occupying the planet, Capelli has given up on the seemingly hopeless fight and has retreated into hiding underground with his wife and young son in Haven, Oklahoma. But as the climate of the planet continues to collapse, scientist Dr. Fyodor Malikov finds Capelli with a plan to deliver a devastating blow against the occupying Chimeran force. In order to protect his family, Capelli must leave them behind and embark on a harrowing mission across the country to New York City. Along the way, he and Malikov will encounter the survivors and remnants left in the aftermath of the brutal Chimeran invasion.
Los Angeles-based film composer Boris Salchow (80 Minutes, Prom Night) returns to craft a darker cinematic soundtrack for Resistance 3 - reflecting the struggle of the remaining group of human survivors against an overwhelming force of alien invaders. To capture an authentic and unique sound for this alternate history sci-fi story set in the 1950's, Salchow and Insomniac recorded the emotionally diverse musical score with orchestra at the historical Abbey Road Studios in London.
Paul Mudra, Audio Director, Insomniac Games: "For Resistance 3 we required a composer who would be able to interpret the nuance of mankind's struggle for survival in a brutal world and create an engaging and emotive score. Boris spent many hours at our studio becoming familiar with the story, meeting with several key members of the development team and immersing himself in our process and culture. The soundtrack that Boris composed is compelling and a perfect fit for the game. We consider it to be a key part of the overall Resistance 3 experience."
Marcus Smith, Creative Director, Insomniac Games: "Working with Boris has been a dream. I've never had the pleasure of working with someone so committed to the project as a whole; Not only did he spend lots of time with us at our studio listening and asking questions, but he'd also make great suggestions on story, pacing and character development. The soundtrack he delivered is stunning in its intricacy, delicacy and humanity."
Boris Salchow, Composer: "In Resistance 3 human civilization as such is gone. People flock together in small groups, trying to survive as long as possible. Not even a military organization is left. The soundtrack reflects this - instead of military elements, we find some very intimate sounding compositions where I use piano, woodwinds, a boy soprano and somber string arrangements. For this setting, it was crucial to record the score live since the Resistance 3 score describes the emotions of the survivors. Going to London and recording this music with such incredible A-list musicians at this historical venue was the perfect match for the game, and it was an incredible honor for me personally. I am very thankful that Insomniac made this happen."
- Journey as mankind’s last hope, Joseph Capelli, across a devastated America, making your way from Haven, Oklahoma to New York City.
- Resistance 3 returns with a fully loaded arsenal of innovative weapons, including classics like the Bullseye, Auger, Rossmore, and Marksman, and increase the firepower of each with a new weapon upgrade system. With the return of the fan-favorite weapon wheel, players now have access to the entire sandbox of weaponry, giving them strategic choices for any situation they encounter.
- Engage smarter and more agile Chimeran enemies – due to Insomniac’s new awareness and cinematic traversal technology that gives the Chimera the ability to traverse any environment to reach you: nowhere is safe. Newly evolved Chimeran species - such as the powerful, leaping Longlegs - are larger and more deadly than ever.
- Two-player online and local/split-screen co-op gameplay allows players to team up with a friend during Capelli’s journey to New York.
- A new, more focused, progression-based multiplayer experience builds on Insomniac’s multiplayer pedigree, while allowing players to take part in the global resistance by battling in locations set around the globe.
More articles about Resistance 3