DCUO offers a dramatic online setting where players can enter the DC Universe and battle alongside or against their favorite DC Comics heroes and villains including such icons as Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and The Joker, as well as many other fan favorites such as Green Lantern, The Flash, Catwoman and Martian Manhunter. The action and drama will play out in such well-known locations as Gotham City and Metropolis among others.
Award-winning writer Marv Wolfman has joined the creative team at WildStorm Productions that is working with SOE to bring the DC Universe to life on the PS3 and the PC.
Supporting the game’s distinctive, dynamic look is a physics-based combat system that makes traditional role-based massively multiplayer online games a thing of the past. With DCUO, players will have virtual powers that feel truly epic in scope from the get-go. Fly around, grab a bus, and toss it at your foes. Shoot energy blasts from your power ring as you dash with incredible speed along the side of a skyscraper. Or turn rivals into ice cubes and then lob them from atop the Daily Planet building.
Heads or Tales features Gotham City District Attorney turned crime boss Harvey Dent/Two Face, and delivers new game play content suited for players of all levels and criminal persuasions including new missions, raids, and encounters. Players will also be able to explore the darker side of Batman when he is infected with a virus and teams up with DCUO's most formidable boss, Brainiac's Avatar of Technology.
Featuring DC Comics favorite The Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) and the introduction of the game's seventh power set - Light, the new downloadable content will be available this summer for both PC and PS3.
"The Green Lantern has been a mainstay for DC Comics fans for more than 60 years, and is a fan favorite among our players," said Mark Anderson, Game Director of DC Universe Online. "We've listened to the feedback, and fans can now create their own Lantern-inspired characters including the use of light powers."
In addition to the new light power set, players will also be able to interact with Green Lantern based characters and content in DC Universe Online in these all-new gameplay scenarios:
- S.T.A.R. Labs - Deep within S.T.A.R Labs, Brainiac seeks to control experimental devices that will allow him to harness the power source behind the Lantern Corps' rings. This attack throws the Lantern Corps into chaos, and players must join a fragile truce between the Green and Yellow Lantern Corps to bring the powerful devices back under S.T.A.R. Labs' control.
- Coast City - Players must battle their way through the "City Without Fear" to Ferris Aircraft, the home of fighter ace Hal Jordan. Here they face the unbridled rage of the Red Lantern Corps in a showdown to save the city and the Universe.
- Sciencells Prison - On the Green Lantern Corps' home planet Oa, heroes will join with Guy Gardner to stop a prison break that threatens to release the most feared prisoners of the Green Lantern Corps. Villains will fight alongside Sinestro as he attempts to release the Green Lantern Corps' greatest foes and retrieve the evil Lyssa Drak from her emerald powered prison cell.
- Green Lantern offers another exciting superhero for PC and PS3 players to join forces with in their epic battles online, following DCUO' s ongoing combat missions featuring other DC Comics legends such as Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, The Joker and Lex Luthor.
DC Universe Online's "Fight for the Light" DLC pack will be available for download for $9.99 USD this summer for PC and PS3 players.
- Based on the distinctive, acclaimed artwork and designs of comic book legend Jim Lee.
- Iconic DC Comic settings and characters, from Gotham City to Arkham Asylum, Batman to Blue Beetle.
- Players can enter a persistent DC Universe and fight alongside their favorite heroes and villains to play their own adventure in the mythology of these legendary characters and locales.
- DCUO will be an online world that stays true to the DC Comics property and allows players to feel and act like super heroes or villains.
- Physics-based fighting turns vehicles, streetlights and other players into weapons, resulting in dynamic combat scenarios that are different every time.
DC Universe Online, rated T for Teen, will carry an anticipated retail price of US$59.99 for PlayStation 3 and US$49.99 for PC in North America. The game includes one 30-day game membership, with monthly subscriptions available thereafter for US$14.99. For customers playing the PC version of the game, DCUO will be included in SOE's all-in-one Station Access subscription.
More articles about DC Universe Online