In The Lord of the Rings: War in the North, players can become the heroes in the great battle of the North as part of the epic War of the Ring. Exploring unseen lands, story elements and characters from Middle-earth as well as elements familiar from past feature films, gamers will experience extensive character customization and development, expansive co-op gameplay options and upgradeable weapons, skills and special abilities.
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North is an epic multiplayer action/RPG video game based on the renowned stories by J.R.R. Tolkien. Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment holds the rights to develop video games based on both the literary and motion picture content from The Lord of the Rings, allowing Snowblind to explore original and familiar narrative elements in more than 12 areas, of which only three have been seen in the films. Breaking new ground as the first mature‐rated LOTR video game, The Lord of the Rings: War in the North evolves the RPG genre through innovative online, interdependent co‐op play for up to three players who form their own Fellowship and engage in brutal combat. Exploring previously unseen lands, story elements and characters as well as elements familiar from past feature films, gamers experience extensive character customization and development, expansive co-op gameplay options and upgradeable weapons, skills and special abilities. Players must play together or perish as they work to defeat Sauron’s forces in the North.
- Amazon.com: Exclusive to Amazon.com, pre-order the game and get early access to part two of the War in the North Digital Comic written by Brian Wood, illustrated by Simon Coleby and produced by DC Entertainment. The comic book reveals the back story leading up to The Lord of the Rings: War in the North. Players will also receive the Orc Champion sword for in-game use.
- Best Buy: Embark on an Elven adventure with the Elf Theme Pack, equipped with a mystical Elven sword, armor and helmet, and get access to the Lothlórien Challenge map.
- GameStop: Visit the Citadel of the Stars and the Tower of Stone with the Human Theme Pack equipped with an exclusive human sword, armor and battle attire of the Human Ranger, and get access to the Osgiliath Challenge map.
- Target: Immerse yourself in the sounds of Middle-earth with three exclusive tracks from the War in the North soundtrack.
- Toys 'R' Us: Receive a limited edition, signed War in the North poster by Jim Lee, and access to download parts one and two of the War in the North Digital Comic at launch.
- Wal-Mart: A Dwarven quest lies ahead for everyone who chooses to pre-order at Wal-Mart; the Dwarf Theme Pack includes an exclusive dwarf sword, armor and helmet.
Collector's Edition includes
Packed into a leather-looking quiver, the $129.99 CE includes a copy of the game, an art book, interviews and footage with composer Inon Zur regarding the soundtrack, and three tracks from the game soundtrack. On Xbox 360, you'll also get a set of Ranger armor, helmet, quiver and bow for your Avatar, while PS3 players will receive a PS3 theme pack instead.
- Create your own Fellowship ‐ Together, players and their friends will experience an epic, story‐based adventure through vast Middle‐earth to experience storylines and characters going beyond what has been seen in the feature films and previous games.
- Play as a team or perish! ‐ Social play is redefined through groundbreaking online, interdependent co‐op gameplay which enables three different gamers to play as a complementary group where individual skills enhance the success of each team member.
- Brutal Gameplay ‐ The Lord of the Rings: War in the North is the first M‐rated The Lord of the Rings game on the market, authentically derived from The Lord of the Rings lore and delivering on action RPG principles.
- Intricate Character Customization from RPG Powerhouse – Players choose from three playable races: Human, Elf or Dwarf. Extensive customization allows for meaningful and rewarding RPG gameplay including established loot and reward systems. Snowblind’s history and credibility as an action/RPG gameplay studio makes them the perfect choice for creating an epic LOTR RPG.
- Original Social Storyline ‐ Players will experience an original storyline created especially for the social, collaborative three‐player experience established within J.R.R. Tolkien’s lore and approved by the J.R.R. Tolkien estate
- Challenge Missions ‐ Special missions consist of defensive positioning and group raids for up to 3 players, built especially for co‐op challenges and not tied to the story.
More articles about The Lord of the Rings: War in the North