Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary is a remastered version of the original Halo campaign, created in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the franchise. The Anniversary edition has a bounty of new features, including cooperative play over Xbox Live, a bundle of multiplayer maps reimagined for Xbox Live, new challenges and a new story.
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary immerses you in the landmark campaign and genre-defining multiplayer game that helped revolutionize the first-person shooter genre and sparked one of the most iconic science-fiction universes of all time.
Breathtaking New “Halo: Anniversary” Maps
Announced and playable today at Halo Fest are two stunningly re-imagined battlefields and a brand new Firefight map for “Halo: Anniversary”: Timberland, Prisoner and Installation 04.
- Timberland –Timberland is “Halo: Anniversary’s” beautifully re-imagined multiplayer map from “Halo PC,” set in the classically alpine environment so familiar to “Halo.” Once serving as a watch point for the immense relay complex below, the monitoring outposts nestled atop this ridge became a staging ground for human forces during their time on Installation 04. Toward the end of the conflict, a Covenant assault brought the marines here to a tragic end. Timberland is a tree-covered valley, sporting undulating hills, surging rivers, and a terrain perfect for large-scale vehicle mayhem. (8 - 16 players)
- Prisoner –The return of “Halo: Combat Evolved’s” Prisoner delivers a claustrophobic and frenetic multiplayer experience now elaborately recreated for “Halo: Anniversary.” These spinning confinement platforms are a testament to the technological prowess of the Forerunners. In the event of a security breach, the facility’s suborbital location and frigid temperature were thought to be able to keep any threat at bay, but it appears those plans were… optimistic. Prisoner is a multi-level facility, with tightly-woven corridors and many bridges and ramps, perfect for the chaos of close-range combat. (2 - 8 players)
- Installation 04 – Installation 04 brings fans back to one of the most iconic environments in “Halo’s” history, the base of an enormous Forerunner spire from “Halo: Combat Evolved’s” campaign mission “Halo,” now stunningly returning in “Halo: Anniversary’s” Firefight mode. Set on one of the many cliff sides of Alpha Halo, this beacon served as a rendezvous point for survivors of the Covenant attack on the UNSC Pillar of Autumn. These survivors, including the legendary Orbital Drop Shock Troopers, were forced to stave off numerous Covenant attacks until rescue finally came. Installation 04 is a familiar precipice studded with ancient Forerunner structures which make a perfect defensive position against an invading alien enemy and marks the first Firefight experience to include ally AI players who will defend the installation alongside you. (1 - 4 players)
Previously announced, playable fan favourite maps also made their US debut at Halo Fest including:
- Damnation –A fan favourite multiplayer battleground from “Halo: Combat Evolved,” Damnation is impressively brought back to life with amazing detail. As the primary satellite of the Unggoy home world, Buwan provides the perfect environment for this massive Covenant hydro-facility used to power and refuel a variety of capital ships. Though still operational via automated subsystems, the station was abandoned shortly after the breaking of the Covenant. Damnation is an asymmetrical, multi-tiered complex, replete with long lines of sight and tightly-crafted choke points. (2 - 8 players)
- Beaver Creek – The classic “Halo 2” multiplayer map Beaver Creek returns, tracing its roots back all the way to “Halo: Combat Evolved’s” legendary Battle Creek. The rocky warrens of this part of Halo provide the ideal environment for an array of impressive telemetry clusters. These spires’ synchronization conduits ensure that the ring’s translocation grid is always fully operational. Beaver Creek’s symmetrical bases in a small, creek-fed canyon are excellent for both free-for-all and team-based game types. (2 - 8 players)
Each of the competitive multiplayer maps that ship with “Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary” will include two variants which let players experience maps in both their classic layout as well as a modified, re-imagined version with changes that account for the dynamic gameplay created by “Halo: Reach’s” Armour Abilities.
For the first time, fans will be able to experience the original “Halo” campaign in a whole new dimension as they step onto the legendary ring world in stereoscopic 3D. Using a custom made top-and-bottom 3D technology, 3D-TV owning fans will be able to experience the amazingly re-mastered “Halo: Anniversary” in a more immersive experience than ever before. Attendees can see this first at the immersive LG Cinema 3D Experience at Halo Fest.
- Stunningly remastered campaign. Relive the award-winning adventure that defined Halo: Combat Evolved as one of the best games of the decade with breathtaking next-gen graphics and audio remastered for the Xbox 360. Engage in epic-scale battles against the backdrop of the eponymous Halo ringworld, and relive nostalgic memories with the ability to toggle Classic mode to play the original version.
- Online campaign co-op. For the first time, experience the story that started it all with a friend on Xbox Live and launch a cooperative assault against the Covenant, whether you live across the street or halfway around the world.
- Classic Halo multiplayer maps reimagined. Wage battle on six detailed remakes of some of the most beloved Halo multiplayer maps of all time, and bring the fight to the Covenant on a stunning and resonant new Firefight map.1 Remastered in the Halo: Reach engine and inspired by maps from Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2, these iconic battlefields reignite the heart-pounding multiplayer action of the original favorites and let you relive epic confrontations like you've never experienced them.Developed in collaboration with Certain Affinity, the new multiplayer maps are included on the Halo: Anniversary game disc, which means players will not need to own the original Halo: Reach game to play. The first of the new revealed remakes is the fan-favorite map Damnation.
- New challenges and enhanced story. Unlock up to 1,000 Achievement points as you clash with online opponents and battle through the campaign, and uncover never-before-revealed backstories told in motion-graphic form that foreshadow new mysteries in the story of Halo 4.
More articles about Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary