Civilization V takes this definitive strategy game series in new directions with the introduction of hexagon tiles allowing for deeper strategy, more realistic gameplay and stunning organic landscapes for players to explore as they expand their empire. The brand new engine orchestrates a spectacular visual experience that brings players closer to the Civ experience than ever, featuring fully animated leaders interacting with players from a screen-filling diplomatic scene and speaking in their native language for the first time. Wars between empires feel massive as armies dominate the landscape, and combat is more exciting and intense than ever before. The addition of ranged bombardment allows players to fire weapons from behind the front lines, challenging players to develop clever new strategies to guarantee victory on the battlefield. In addition to the new gameplay features debuting in Civilization V, an extensive suite of community, modding and multiplayer elements will also make an appearance.
The Game of the Year Edition that contains previously released digital content and bonus items in a single package featuring:
- Sid Meier’s Civilization V (standalone game);
- Civilization and Scenario Pack: The Mongols;
- Civilization Pack: Babylon;
- Cradle of Civilization Map Packs: Mesopotamia, Americas, Asia and Mediterranean;
- Double Civilization and Scenario Pack: Spain and Inca;
- Civilization and Scenario Pack: Polynesia;
- Civilization and Scenario Pack: Denmark – The Vikings;
- Explorer’s Map Pack;
- Sid Meier’s Civilization V digital soundtrack.
Sid Meier’s Civilization V: Game of the Year Edition will be available starting September 27, 2011 at retailers and select digital partners across North America for $49.99.
- Believable World: More than just a strategy game -- the expanded visuals and immersive audio invite would-be kings to take up the reigns of power and forge a mighty empire. Civilization V offers a limitless variety of vast, realistic and diverse landscapes for players to explore, battle over and claim as their own.
- Inviting Presentation: An intuitive interface eases both new players and Civ veterans into the game. Guided by a set of trusted advisers who will explain game functionality and provide counsel for significant decisions, even first-time players will be confident in the choices they make.
- Huge Battles: Combat is more exciting and engaging than ever before. Wars between empires feel massive with armies spreading across the landscape. The addition of ranged bombardment allows players to fire weapons from behind the front lines, challenging players to develop clever new strategies to guarantee victory on the battlefield.
- Live History: Write your own epic story each time you play! Choose one of eighteen historical civilizations to lead from the stone-age to the space age on your quest to build the world’s most powerful empire.
- Improved Diplomacy: Negotiate with some of history’s most cunning rulers, each with a well-crafted plan for victory. Successful diplomacy will depend on players carefully managing relationships with other leaders, trading items and land, plying them with gold, and deciding if they are friend or foe. City States will present a new diplomatic battleground on which the major powers of the world will vie for supremacy.
- In-Game Community Hub: Compete with Civ players from all over the globe via the Internet and Play by Email, or compete locally in Hotseat and LAN matches, offering endless ways to rule the world. The game itself now serves as the hub of community activity, featuring the ability to share scenarios, compare scores, brag about achievements and visit one of the thriving Civ fansites without leaving the game. It’s now easier than ever for players to become involved in the global Civ Community.
- Modability: With unprecedented modding tools, players will have unlimited options for modifying Civilization V any way they like.
More articles about Sid Meier's Civilization V