Dead Island combines first-person action with a heavy focus on melee combat, character development and customisation of a vast array of weapons. All of these gameplay features are presented in a dark story inspired by classic zombie movies with a gritty and engrossing campaign that can be played with up to four players in co-op mode.
Set in an open world tropical island, hordes of different festering zombies await players around every corner while they embark on a variety of thrilling missions through the holiday resort. With firearms and ammunition being scarce the player must rely on utilising found items as weapons for self-defense and fight off zombie hordes in intense melee combat. A diverse range of items can be collected and will later serve to transform the player’s ordinary makeshift weapons into serious instruments of destruction.
In addition to satisfying even the most bloodthirsty action fan’s fantasy, Dead Island also features role-playing elements which allow the player to develop one of the game’s unique character classes according to their preferences, all the while learning new skills and fresh tactics during their journey through the perilous environments of the island. What’s more, anytime during a game up to four players can seamlessly join together and experience the intense combat and immersive story with cooperative gameplay.
Deep Silver announced that it has shipped more than 1 million retail copies of Dead Island in North America in the first few days of availability. In addition, Dead Island has held the #1 chart position in many global markets including the UK and France as well as on Steam, and will have sold 2 million units globally to retailers by the end of this week.
“We’re thrilled at the retail reception Dead Island has achieved in its first few days,” said Geoff Mulligan, Chief Operating Officer at Deep Silver, “The critical ‘first week’ of game sales has been an enormous sales success for Deep Silver. We’re working quickly with our distribution partner in North America, Square Enix, to restock shelves as quickly as we can.”
"With more than a million copies sold, I feel good knowing that the world is now more prepared than ever for what to do should a real zombie invasion ever threaten humanity." said Mike Fischer, president and CEO of Square Enix, Inc.
- Ultra-realistic combat
- Intense and amazingly realistic hand-to-hand combat based on dynamic character moves and camera angles
- Realistic physical reactions of opponents to hits
- Exceptionally faithful and detailed damage model, showing damaged skin, muscles and even bones
- Innovative system of targeting and hitting the opponents gives you precise control and a realistic combat feel
- Advanced Artificial Life System
- AL system allows you to take advantage of instinctive behaviors of groups and individual opponents
- Living, breathing and dynamically changing ecosystem faced with the destructive influence of a spreading epidemic
- Realistic and spontaneous NPC behavior
- Through your actions, actively influence NPC reactions
- Non-linear gameplay
- Explore a vast, open world of a tropical island, on foot or in vehicles
- Freedom of choosing your allies and completing tasks that bring you closer to the finale
- Player decisions influence the way in which the game progresses, making it a multi-threaded story
- Fully Interactive Environments
- The ability to use all elements of the environment as weapons
- A liquid, gas and electricity physics simulation system, which allows you to create your own unique ways of eliminating enemies
More articles about Dead Island