Cutting edge graphics and audio built on Unreal Engine 3, inventive features and streamlined realism will deliver an unrivalled WWII experience. Focusing on the Battle of Stalingrad and the surrounding operations, both German and Russian, from July 1942 to February 1943 the game allows the player to experience one of the most brutal battles in all of human history. For the first time ever in a first person shooter gamers will be able to experience WWII from the Axis side in a German single player campaign.
As always with the Red Orchestra franchise, Tripwire will aim to deliver unrivalled accuracy and attention to detail, along with gritty, vicious combat in multi-player, co-op and solo modes. Again, Tripwire have listened to the fans and have designed a whole set of new features to make the game more accessible and easy to get into – all while delivering the tactical shooter realism fans of the original game loved.
Week 1 of the Beta has been a great success with tens of thousands of players getting their first taste of Red Orchestra 2. With the players' help Tripwire Interactive has been able to uncover and address several issues including a particularly nasty server browser issue which was duly fixed. After opening up the RO2 Beta with 3 maps (Fallen Fighters, Apartments and Gumrak), Tripwire Interactive are cycling in 3 more maps for everyone later today:
- Grain Elevator: the iconic battle site in the south of Stalingrad featuring long range infantry fighting outdoors and room to room close quarters combat inside
- Red October Factory: night-time fighting in the factory ruins on an epic scale with infantry and tanks fighting side by side
- Barracks: a mix of close-quarter and medium-range combat, sure to be a fan favorite
All 3 maps will have both Territory and Countdown game modes, while Barracks also has the Firefight mode.
Anyone that pre-purchases the deluxe edition before the game launches will now get instant access to the beta, so head on over to the Steam store to get your copy and join the fight. And if you are one of those who bought the standard version of the game - you can now upgrade directly to the Deluxe version and get straight into the Beta!
- RO multiplayer taken to new heights: With highly addictive and fun varieties of game-play online, the game will feature everything from quick, brutal firefights, through to more intricate and challenging simulation modes.
- Persistent Stats Tracking and Player Progression: Grow in rank, earn medals, improve your abilities, and become a Hero – all visible to the complete online gaming community and embedded within the game.
- Heroes: Obtain the ultimate goal and become a Hero online. Heroes inspire friendly troops and strike fear in their enemies. Heroes have access to the best and rarest weapons and equipment, and will stand out visually from the rest of the soldiers.
- Stalingrad Campaign: The Stalingrad campaign will feature the multiplayer maps used in a campaign layout recreating the battle for Stalingrad from both the German and Russian sides.
- Unique Focus: Take the familiar WWII genre into a unique direction. Far removed from the well-trodden Normandy setting, gameplay is based on fresh scenarios and actions the player has never experienced before. Follow the German army as they assault the city of Stalingrad, to the banks of the Volga. Follow the Soviet army as it holds the city against all the odds then destroys the Axis forces.
- First person cover system: Experience the ultimate firefights that a cover system allows, from the immersion of a first person view. Peek or blind fire over and around cover and more.
- Squad Command: Command fire teams on the battlefield using an easy to use first person interface. Suppress the enemy, send a fire team to flank them and hit them where it hurts!
- WWII weaponry redefined: True to life ballistics, bullet penetration, breathing, adjustable sights, free aim, weapon bracing, photo-real graphics and more, create WWII weaponry that has no equal.
- Co-op: Players can connect with their friends and battle AI in multiple game types including the Stalingrad Campaign, Skirmish Mode, and more.
- Morale: Experience what it is like to be a soldier in one of the bloodiest conflicts in history and the importance of a soldier’s state of mind and how it can turn the tide of battle.
- Exciting Offline Play: Offline play against AI featuring the Stalingrad Campaign, Skirmish mode, and more give the player an exciting and fun environment to learn the game before hopping online.
- Competitions & Leader-boards: Compete to obtain unique awards and achievements with players all over the world. The competitions range from shooting range challenges to unique and fun assault courses.
- Enhanced Unreal Engine 3: Built on an enhanced version of Unreal Engine 3 the game features cutting edge visuals and features.
Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad will be available simultaneously worldwide for $39.99, with appropriate local pricing for other territories.
More articles about Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad