Players can express themselves by creating their own Mod character, styling their own racing kart and even building an imaginative track that can be shared with the rest of the PlayStation community.
Welcome to the never-ending season of ModNation kart racing, where creativity rules on and off the track. Get on the starting grid of nearly 500,000 tracks available online or just race in our competitive circuit and compete with new dual analog stick racing and three new weapon classes. And with the new touch controls, you can create a new track in seconds and share it with the rest of the world. Buckle up for an endless ride!
Play puppet master in your very own ModNation universe and raise mountains by simply touching the back panel. The longer you hold your fingertips to the back panel, the higher the peaks rise. On the front panel, if you feel inclined to create a lake, simply press down until you strike water. We also demonstrated that the integrity of ModNation kart racing is still intact with the advantage of Dual Analog Sticks. With steering on the left stick, and performing stunts on the right, racing could not be more fun.
By using the online capabilities and processing power of the PS Vita, the ModNation team has made it possible for users to download any PS3 user generated creation and bring it with them on the go.
ModNation Racers: Road Trip Weapon Details
ModNation Racers: Road Trip weapons add more excitement to our already great racing experience on the PS3 with all new weapons that give the racers more control both offensively and defensively. The seven weapon classes fall into these categories: Earth, Fire, Ice, Mines, Bolt, Guns, and Sonic weapons. Notice below that weapon classes are distingushed by color. Once a weapon is attained all future weapon pods collected will remain the same color until used. Color key: Red – Gun, Dark Green – Earth, Light Blue – Ice, Dark Blue – Sonic, Pink – Bolt, Orange – Fire, Light Green – Supercharger, and Yellow – Mines.
- Track Based Weapons: These weapons are triggered by you or your opponents to bring potentially devastating damage to enemies and/or yourself if you’re not careful! Imagine being in the middle of a heated race and desperately needing to break from the pack. Well, if you have a Level 3 Phoenix in hand unleash that bad boy and watch it literally fly ahead of the pack. At the right moment your Phoenix will stop and unleash a rain of fire upon the track. Racers will scramble along with you to make it through the carnage. Some will make it, some won’t. Will you? This is just one of the uber-powerful level 3 track based weapons along with and Level 3 Rockslide and a Level 3 Sonic Rift.
- Spray Weapons: These multi-purpose weapons allow racers to swerve their kart while firing to spray projectiles across the track. This gives the players a choice: hit a single opponent with all of the projectiles, or spray to try and hit multiple opponents.
- Roaming / Near Weapons: These weapons add the random factor to your weapon arsenal. Set one off and watch as they travel freely down the track. They don’t lock on to your Kart but you’ll have to act fast to avoid these.
- Drivable Weapons: These give players the ability to use their driving skills to dish out punishment to their opponents. I personally can’t begin to tell you how rewarding it is to literally snowball over a racer(s) that just sideswiped me into a wall. No. Really – I can’t tell you. The judge and my anger management coach restrict me from articulating this pleasure any further.
- Lock-On Weapons: Ah, lock on weapons… so much fun to give, not so fun to receive – the pure definition of being “pwned”. In ModNation Racers: Road Trip you’ll have a little more say to the degree of “pwnage” your opponent can dish out. You will still have audio clues (can be turned off) of incoming attacks but you’ll now have the advantage of a “lock-on” reticule for visual assistance in timing your shields. This results in a more balanced racing experience while not removing the pure joy of unleashing your “Hydra’s” up someone’s tailpipe!
- Mines: Now a weapon class of their own and the only instance you’ll be dropping a weapon behind you (see below). This class includes Plutonium Mine, Toxic Cloud, and Toxic Cesspool
Weapon Pod Cash In
In ModNation Racers for the PS3 you could drop weapons as mines behind you or in essence “dump” weapons that you did not like. In ModNation Racers: Road Trip you now have complete control of how to best use your acquired weapon. Don’t like the weapon you picked up and maybe running a little low on boost?… simple…you can press the weapon icon on the bottom right of the front touch screen or just hold down on the fire weapon button to “cash” it in. Voila… more boost in you gauge. You can “cash-in” your weapon up to and including level three’s! The sprint towards the finish just got a lot more exciting didn’t it? Yeah it did!
Another brand new feature to ModNation Racers Road Trip is the Amnesty Shield. This automatic shield comes into play when you fire a weapon and an opponent fires the same exact weapon at or toward you. This again adds a little more strategy to the racing experience and helps avoid races being decided at the very last second by the ever popular “Hydra-palooza”.
- Brand new Career mode – Get ready to take on the challenge of 20+ new tracks filled with 3 new weapon classes (Fire, Ice, Earth) for your Kart's offensive arsenal.
- Never ending tracks - Access and enjoy close to 500,000 user-generated tracks (and growing), from wherever you are.
- Introducing ModTraveler & ModMiles – Keep connected on the road by photographing your Mod's in exotic locations or earning miles while racing MNR tracks away from home, both of which will unlock rare and unique items to add to your collection.
- Race track design in under a minute – Access all the new touch-create tools and design, decorate and customize your own tracks for everyone to play in record time.
More articles about ModNation Racers: Road Trip