OOTP 13 takes the storylines introduced by OOTP 12 to the next level with a layer of interactivity that brings you even closer to the general manager's office.
Here's an example: Your team is mired in a bad slump, and your star player takes his grievances to the media. Do you fine him to set an example, with the possibility he could become even more upset and see his morale decline? Do you ignore the incident and risk losing the respect of other team members? Do you take the drastic step of labeling the player a cancer and releasing him or arranging a hasty trade?
The decisions you make influence the way storylines develop. No two are ever alike, and they have wide-ranging effects on injuries, fan interest, team chemistry, player morale, player ratings, player potential, owner attitudes, and much more.
This system is optional, so you can turn it off if you want. We imagine there are many big league managers who would love to do that in real life.
The game now supports associations with multiple leagues. Associated leagues may share certain rules, free agents, and/or draft pools. Once all seasons are completed in the associated leagues, the winners may meet in extra playoffs, determining the ultimate champion of your OOTP game.
League playoffs in OOTP 13 also offer more custom options, including, for example, first-round byes. Now you can run your league playoffs any way you want.
Creating, commissioning, and playing an online league is easier than ever before in OOTP 13.
This year we streamlined the OOTP Online League functionality, as well as the entire online league experience in general. We added one central place for online league features - it displays all available options and actions for commissioners and managers alike.Pre-Order Incentives:
- OOTP 13 is US$34.99 as a pre-order through Feb. 15, 2012. After that, it goes to $39.99.
- Everyone who pre-orders gets the game 3 days early.
- Everyone who pre-orders by Feb. 15 gets entered in a drawing to win a 32GB iPod touch or 1 of 3 $100 gift cards through Amazon or iTunes.
Here's a great way to feel like a big league general manager: turn on the new Real-Time Simulation Mode. While you browse stats, plan roster moves, look for available free agents, and so forth, OOTP simulates the current day in the background at the speed you choose, complete with a scores and highlights ticker at the bottom of the screen.
The league scores screen lets you follow all the games in progress, so if something exciting is happening, you can jump in and watch or take the reins of your team (or any team, if you're in commissioner mode). The game's stats update in real-time too, so if one of your pitchers just threw a no-hitter, you'll see that reflected in his profile, and the news screen will highlight his accomplishment. League standings and statistical leader rankings also automatically update as games conclude.
After the day's games finish, you can advance to the next day, or you can tell OOTP to play out all the contests in real-time for a preset number of days.
New features in OOTP 13 include:
- 2012 major and minor league rosters, along with new rule changes, including a 2nd wild card in each league in 2013 and the Astros' move to the AL West next year
- A real-time simulation mode, complete with a score ticker and the ability to jump into games in progress
- More immersive storylines that include decision points (for example, fine a problem player or ignore his antics; either one has downsides and upsides and impacts morale, fan interest, etc.)
- More customization options for playoffs, including first round byes
- Improved online league play
- A revamped interface and core engine improvements
More articles about Out Of The Park Baseball 13