With a roster featuring over 30 hand-drawn fighters, a number of detailed stages bursting with life, over a half dozen play modes, a refined fighting engine built for speed and complete with new moves and supers, a vastly improved Online mode, and a host of other additions, tweaks, and enhancements, The King Of Fighters XIII represents a rebirth for one of gaming's longest tenured franchises and one of the most popular fighting brands ever.
Painstaking effort has been made to address every last concern following the last entry: fights play faster; the addition of over a half dozen play modes offers variety and replayability; the game's beautifully rendered and animated character sprites are better distinguished from the backgrounds-which happen to be richer and more detailed; the camera perspective is less restricted; fighters have more moves, including new supers and the all-new NEOMAX supers; and much, much more!
Atlus and SNK PlayMore released the a patch intended to address various issues for The King Of Fighters XIII, the latest in the legendary fighting franchise, for PS3 and X360.
The game update, now available on PlayStation Network and coming soon to Xbox Live, addresses a number of issues, many of which negatively affected online gameplay experience:
- Ranked Match Filtering: One of the most requested additions, players may now set conditions for their opponent's connection. When a player who doesn't meet the standby conditions tries to enter the Ranked match, a warning message will be displayed and the match cancelled.
- Improved Filtering: Filtering functionality in general has seen dramatic improvements. Previously, certain connection data was not filtered sufficiently and the player had a chance of connecting to opponents with poor connection quality. Now, more aggressive filtering should ensure that players are only matched with opponents who meet their filter settings.
- Improved Connection Antenna: The computation behind the players' connection antenna, the meter indicating the quality of a player's connection, has been improved, resulting in a more accurate and consistent measurement.
- Temporarily Saved Custom Match Settings: Players may continue searching for opponents with the same settings as long as the player remains in the PLAYER MATCH/RANKED MATCH menu.
- Character-specific Bug Fixes: "NESTS-Style" Kyo and Iori with the Power of Flames no longer become unresponsive under certain circumstances.
- Additional refinements, fixes, and more!
In celebration of the update's release, ATLUS also announced a limited time $10 price reduction, dropping the game to $39.99 and making it even easier to justify picking up The King Of Fighters XIII. This discount also comes in commemoration of the title's selection as an official part of Evo Championship Series, for which ATLUS today revealed a special bonus for all all paid KOF XIII entrants at the Evo World Finals.
Upon formally registrating for the KOF XIII tournament at Evo 2012, challengers will reserve an exclusive, extremely limited t-shirt featuring Mai Shiranui and the Evo Championship Series logo. Not only is the t-shirt poised to become an ultra-rare collectible, but because sizing information is taken as part of the registration process, public flauntability is ensured as well.
Console Exclusive Modes
- In Story mode, players can view events from multiple characters' perspectives, including Ash, Heidern, and Adelheid. In addition, the story will be influenced by the player's choices and battle results. All of this is presented through a wealth of new visuals and animations that fans cannot afford to miss!
- ONLINE VERSUS mode will feature three different match types, each allowing players to challenge other rivals worldwide: RANKED MATCH, PLAYER MATCH, and FRIEND MATCH/XBOX LIVE PARTY. ranked match follows strict rules, reflecting players' records in official rankings. Unranked PLAYER MATCH fights allow for custom rules, letting players enjoy more relaxed battles with more freedom to experiment with new strategies. FRIEND MATCH/XBOX LIVE PARTY lets players invite online challengers.
- MISSION mode offers three challenging objectives to help players practice and improve their fighting skills! Beat all the CPU-controlled characters as fast as possible to record the best time in Time Attack. See how many CPU-controlled characters you can defeat before your life gauge is depleted to zero in Survival. Take on special challenges for each character in TRIAL Mode.
- Series newcomers or fans looking to improve their skills can turn to the TUTORIAL mode, in which tournament organizer Rose Bernstein explains the different basic controls for each character and the importance of each gauge.
- Other modes available in the console version of KOF XIII include ARCADE, VERSUS, PRACTICE, REPLAY, GALLERY, and CUSTOMIZE.
More articles about King Of Fighters XIII