Technological advances in weaponry had changed how future wars would be fought, but combat tactics did not catch up, leading to failed infantry charges into emplaced machineguns and devastating diseases and plummeting morale. With the invention and revolution of armored cars, tanks, airplanes and more technological wonders, the war could finally become mobile again. It is up the player in Commander – The Great War to utilize and exploit their research and development sources from their side to gain victory, or find themselves brought to their knees through attrition.
- A huge-hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east.
- 5 Grand Campaigns, each starting in a different year of the war, at the start of a historical offensive: 1914 The Great War, 1915 Ypres – Artois, 1916 The Battle of Verdun, 1917 The Nivelle Offensive and 1918 The Kaiserschlacht.
- Over 40 unique historical and “what-if” events triggered by conditions on the campaign-map.
- 18 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains, Cruisers, Submarines and Battleships, Fighters, Bombers and Airships. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses, based on their historical performance in the various theatres throughout the war.
- Attach historical Commanders to your units. Each has their own specific strengths, so decide wisely which Commander is most suited to which front. Three types of Commanders are available: Generals for ground units, Admirals at sea and flying Aces to strengthen your air units.
- Invest in research and technology to improve your units. Aircraft evolve from fragile tools of aerial observation to deadly ground and air attack planes. Artillery barrages become ever more accurate and powerful. Or focus on Armour technology and unleash a dreadful new weapon on the battlefield: the Tank.
- Detailed and realistic combat that models supply, morale, terrain, leadership, equipment, training and fog of war.
- Multiplayer via Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ server system.
- Easy to learn, hard to master game play.
- An all new engine, supporting any display resolution from 1024×600 upwards and includes full wide screen support.
- Extreme moddability using the Lua scripting language, allowing players to alter many aspects of gameplay including combat, research, unit statistics, terrain effects and many more.
Commander: The Great War will be available for $39.99.
More articles about Commander: The Great War