The Dizzy Returns campaign gives fans old and new the chance to be a part of Dizzy history, not only by giving their financial support by pledging, but also by being involved with design decisions throughout development via backer-only design forums. Other rewards on offer include exclusive digital content available only to Kickstarter backers and opportunities to be immortalised in the new game, with more rewards to be announced during the 30 day campaign.
“Dizzy Returns is the game that Andrew and I have wanted to make for over twenty years”, says Philip Oliver, CEO at Blitz Games Studios, the company founded by the Oliver Twins in 1990. “We've always believed in creating games that are fun, challenging and rewarding and we've carried those principles through into everything that Blitz has created since. Dizzy encapsulates these ideals perfectly: quirky characters and story, interesting locations, challenging platforming, the satisfaction of a puzzle well-solved and exploring a colourful, fun world.”
The first Dizzy, published in 1987 was an instant hit with gamers of all ages, with its perfect blend of platforming, puzzle solving and exploration. It spawned a hit series of over 15 games over multiple platforms, including the Amstrad, Spectrum and Amiga.
Successful funding of the £350,000 campaign will allow development to begin on iOS and PC versions of Dizzy Returns, with additional platforms dependent on the final amount raised.
“It’s been over two decades since the last brand new Dizzy game” continues Andrew Oliver, CTO, “and since then not only has technology advanced dramatically, so has the way we play games. We want to bring Dizzy bang up-to-date, and introduce him to a new generation of gamers. We also want to give loyal fans the Dizzy game they’ve been waiting for! Capturing the spirit and magic of the original series of Dizzy games, whilst creating a gaming experience relevant to gamers today is something that we’re confident that we can do, and do right.”
Philip continues: “Dizzy Returns is not about simply replacing the old; we want to create fantastic new Dizzy memories that will be looked back on in 20 years with the same warm feelings as the original series.“
- CLASSIC DIZZY GAMEPLAY - Platforming, puzzle-solving, enemies to avoid, hazards to traverse, loads of locations, quirky characters.
- A BRAND NEW EPIC STORY - Building on established Dizzy lore, expect old questions to be answered and brand new ones to be asked!
- CHOICE OF PLAY STYLE - Gameplay designed for both short and long play sessions.
- NON-LINEAR PUZZLES - Concurrent quests that can be solved in any order.
- NEW MECHANICS - Tonnes of brain-teasing puzzles using game mechanics never before seen in a Dizzy game, utilising physics, time and light, amongst other things.
- A BEAUTIFUL WORLD - The Dizzy universe brought to life with glorious visuals and fully animated 3D characters.
- MEET NEW FRIENDS AND OLD - Dizzy and the Evil Wizard Zaks return, along with some familiar and not-so familiar faces!
- EXPLORATION - Re-visit the Kingdom of Zakeria, with classic locations like Keldor, Treehouse Village and Cloud Castle and more, as well as brand new locations to discover and explore!
- DYNAMIC HELP SYSTEM - Toggleable hints catering for all ability levels, to ensure you'll never be at a loss!
- RETRO MODE - Experience Dizzy Returns in full retro glory, complete with 8-bit graphics and classic difficulty level!
More articles about Dizzy Returns