DCUO offers a dramatic online setting where players can enter the DC Universe and battle alongside or against their favorite DC Comics heroes and villains including such icons as Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and The Joker, as well as many other fan favorites such as Green Lantern, The Flash, Catwoman and Martian Manhunter. The action and drama will play out in such well-known locations as Gotham City and Metropolis among others.
Award-winning writer Marv Wolfman has joined the creative team at WildStorm Productions that is working with SOE to bring the DC Universe to life on the PS3 and the PC.
Supporting the game’s distinctive, dynamic look is a physics-based combat system that makes traditional role-based massively multiplayer online games a thing of the past. With DCUO, players will have virtual powers that feel truly epic in scope from the get-go. Fly around, grab a bus, and toss it at your foes. Shoot energy blasts from your power ring as you dash with incredible speed along the side of a skyscraper. Or turn rivals into ice cubes and then lob them from atop the Daily Planet building.
Featuring the new Earth Powers power set and a wealth of new adventures to take on with friends, the new DLC pack throws players in to the ultimate battle with Brainiac and introduces a shocking new threat to the Universe.
“With The Battle for Earth one war will come to a head, while another begins as we introduce a new chapter to the larger DCUO story,” said Jens Andersen, DC Universe Online Creative Director, Sony Online Entertainment. “TheBattle for Earth also has so much new action to jump in to including a massive Raid where you fight Brainiac’s final Avatar – the Avatar of Magic, new Duos, a new Alert and lots of new fighting to do in South Gotham.”
The Battle for Earth offers players a new storyline with more action, epic battles, a ninth power set, and opens up a new chapter featuring a pair of the most legendary DC Universe figures ever – from the future. DC Universe Online players can look forward to new open world content, Duos, an Alert, and two Raids:
- Themyscira – Experience a new Raid on Wonder Woman’s home island that pits players against Chimeric Brainiacs and, ultimately, the deadly Avatar of Magic. Players will fight alongside mythical creatures such as Cyclops, Hydra and Colossus, while simultaneously protecting key units of Amazons and Beastimorphs.
- South Gotham Brainiac Invasion – Supercharged action continues as players battle Brainiac’s invasion force in the streets of South Gotham, the Courthouse Alert and new Duos. Working to stop Brainiac’s Union – formed by the people trapped inside the bottled buildings – who are constructing Proto-Avatars to assault Gotham, players will be challenged to rise up and defend Earth against Brainiac’s final assault.
- The Prime Battleground – The Battle for Earth storyline leads players in to an epic battle in which they must fight all three of Brainiac’s newly completed Prime Avatars, and then Brainiac himself. Heroes will fight for the safety of the Earth and its inhabitants, while Villains will want to defeat Brainiac and expand the influence of evil across the planet.
- Earth Powers – Rumble on to the scene and shake things up with DCUO’s ninth power set. Earth Powers can be used for both Tanking and Damage and features an exciting new Tanking mechanic that defers damage to a player’s constructs and automatons. Geokinesis abilities give players the ability to shape Earthen constructs to crush enemies and reinforce allies while Seismic abilities allow players to call mighty, Earth-shaking forces to rattle and daze opponents.
- Based on the distinctive, acclaimed artwork and designs of comic book legend Jim Lee.
- Iconic DC Comic settings and characters, from Gotham City to Arkham Asylum, Batman to Blue Beetle.
- Players can enter a persistent DC Universe and fight alongside their favorite heroes and villains to play their own adventure in the mythology of these legendary characters and locales.
- DCUO will be an online world that stays true to the DC Comics property and allows players to feel and act like super heroes or villains.
- Physics-based fighting turns vehicles, streetlights and other players into weapons, resulting in dynamic combat scenarios that are different every time.
More articles about DC Universe Online