When it launched, EverQuest (EQ) redefined the online game landscape, introducing the concepts of raiding and guilds within an immersive 3D environment. Since its launch, EQ has maintained its loyal fanbase with 18 expansions and countless content updates.
With the move to free-to-play, players will continue to enjoy the EQ experience they know and love, only now they have the power to choose a model that caters to their play style. Through the new free-to-play model, players will have the options of non-recurring vs. recurring subscriptions, Free vs. Silver memberships, item unlockers, and many more. Additionally, all players (both old and new) will be given brand new items via a 'Welcome Pack.'
Sony Online Entertainment announced that it is celebrating the 13th anniversary of its landmark massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG), EverQuest, by transitioning the game to a free-to-play model. Recently inducted into the GDC Online Awards' Hall of Fame, EverQuest now offers a variety of options that cater to players' different needs and preferences so they can choose to play the game in a way that suits them best -- such as recurring vs. non-recurring subscriptions and Free through Gold memberships.
"Through 18 successful expansions and countless other game updates, EverQuest has forged its place in history amongst the MMO and online game elite," said Dave Georgeson, director of development of the EverQuest franchise. "With one of the most loyal player communities in the industry, we believe that after 13 years we need to provide them with a wide variety of ways to play the game on their terms. Players can now choose to play in a way that suits them best and continue to expand their game experience...until the next milestone birthday!"
To celebrate its 13th birthday and move to free-to-play, beginning today EverQuest players will be treated to a variety of amazing in-game activities and game updates, including:
- Lucky 13 - Players can now embark on anniversary missions and quests, surrounded by anniversary décor in the "Plane of Knowledge," that follows a special 13th anniversary theme:
- Players can experience 13 new quests.
- A spectacular mission as some of the iconic villains of EverQuest.
- A Raid to stop a familiar foe from gaining ultimate power.
- And over 40 events from past anniversaries.
- Hero's Journey - A book to guide players through a series of achievements from level one to level 85. Utilizing and improving upon content that is already in the game, characters may begin this journey at any level.
- Improved Navigation - An added zone guide, this window is a quick way to look up zones in the game by level, zone connections, and other data about the zone.
- Zoning Path Finder - The zone path finder generates a path between any chosen zone and any other zone in the world. Additionally, zone connections have been added to the Find window.
- Improved Find Tracking - Find tracking is now visible in the map window. Players will be able to see your 'find wisp' in the map window and it will auto center on the path and zoom in and out so you can see the whole path.
- Maps - Improvements to the maps have been made to elevate players' adventures. Maps now support custom map directories, have added map label searching, and the ability to right click on any point on the map to attempt to bring up a visible path to it.
More articles about EverQuest