It’s that time of year! Camo Workshop, working throughout the long, dark, but not-really-cold winter is ready to once again unleash a hurricane barrage of new content and changes to both WinSPWW2 and WinSPMBT. As expected, not only do the patches include completely new content, but there are a host of revisions along with bug zapping, which is why these are much more than mere patches.
Before popping the lid off what these upgrades feature we’d like to take a moment to remind players that, as with every past upgrade, if you are involved in an ongoing secure PBEM game the game will FAIL if the upgrade is applied during the game. Please complete the game and then upgrade.
WinSPMBT is now version 6.0 with the upgrade and includes the following highlights:
- 21 New Scenarios
- 49 Revised Scenarios
- 7 Revised Campaigns
- 20 Revised Campaign files
- 1 New Map
- 701 New or revised Photos
- 194 New or Revised Icons
- 92 Updated OOB Files
- 22 New or Revised Icon Graphic files
- 3 New or Revised Text files
- 2 New Sound files
- 16 Revised picklists
- Upgraded SHPEdit, Upgraded MOBHack, Upgraded Cost Calculator
- AI controlled helicopters will now occasionally pop up to high altitude to look around and then drop down again.
- A bug has been fixed where switching between armor descriptions would change helicopter altitude.
- Libyan flag reverts to the correct national flag after the fall of Ghadafi.
- All on map TOWED artillery over 155mm has been removed from the game, leaving only off map and self-propelled in that caliber now.
- Huge number of OOB changes made to the OOBs, estimated at 25,000 individual data changes.
- Snipers can now target and destroy IEDs.
- Code routine that calculates the number of turns in a game has been re-worked and now takes better account of wide and high maps.
- A bug in the main code for regular and campaign games that affected defend battles for players with very large cores has been corrected. In the past if the core was near the maximum there would not be enough points available to assault a force that size. Now, if the core is too large to allow the proper ratio of attacker/ defender in a defend battle defend battles will be rejected and the game will select a different battle type.
- Both games OOBs have been checked and standardized for the following items for ALL units in ALL OOBs in BOTH games:
- Infantry size. ALL infantry units that are NOT scouts are now size zero if they are 4 men or under and scout units are size zero at 6 men and under. The rest are size 1.
- Hand grenades have been standardized at 2 grenades per man for regular line infantry, 3 grenades per man for elite or specialist infantry like Paratroops and 1 grenade per man for second rate units like militia or partisans.
- Infantry rifle and LMG ammo has been standardized to a scheme mechanically determined by code, not whim, and has been applied to all applicable units. If, for example, Nation A has a section with 9 men it , every other 9 man section will have the same rifle and LMG ammo. Elite or second-rate classes may have a few more or less than a regular.
- Infantry speed checks were made for cavalry =speed 12 , bicycles=speed 9 and infantry limited to 6 movement points max. if not a scout. Swim speed checks were done for infantry with all reset to 0 except for a very few specialist frogmen which are now swimspeed =1. Cavalry was standardized at swimspeed=1.
- Survivability- This field has been zeroed for any Infantry , off-map artillery, or aircraft and helicopter classes that may have had a rating applied over the years for units in these classes do not use this rating.
- Heat armor- If HEAT armor was less than steel for any facing the error was corrected.
- Problems with close range Z fire scattering too far have been resolved. Firing at 3 hexes or less, even blind fire with no LOS, will not scatter onto the firing unit or stray wildly from the target hex .
- Destroyed or damaged core units now do not add back their full cost if their core formation is deleted. They will only return their cost minus the damage inflicted. Previously, if your core unit was worth 250 points for example and it was totally destroyed (0) or damaged (-110 damage points for example) then deleting the formation gave you back the full undamaged value of 250. This gave you "Free money" for destroyed or damaged units. With the current code, you will get 0 points returned if your formation is completely destroyed and any damage points will be deducted if it is just damaged.
winSPMBT begins where winSPWW2 ends. Featuring combined arms land warfare from 1946 until 2020 players can immerse themselves in a virtual tabletop world of tactical wargaming. Featuring both hexes and turn-based play, winSPBMT is the perfect PC game for anyone who grew up during the glory years of Avalon Hill and SPI and fondly recall Saturdays spent huddled around a dining room table pushing counters and computing combat ratios.
winSPMBT is for Windows and is available in both a fully featured free version and an Enhanced Edition for only $39.95. The Enhanced Edition allows higher resolutions (up to 1600x1200-gorgeous!-in both full screen and windowed modes), 250 PBEM save slots, separate map editor with cut and paste functions and twelve levels of undo/redo, encrypted secure tournament play, and encyclopedia sorting by class, type, and date. The Enhanced Edition comes in both a physical product and a download, with the physical product shipping with a printed quick-start guide.
More articles about Steel Panthers: Main Battle Tank - winSPMBT