Dead Island combines first-person action with a heavy focus on melee combat, character development and customisation of a vast array of weapons. All of these gameplay features are presented in a dark story inspired by classic zombie movies with a gritty and engrossing campaign that can be played with up to four players in co-op mode.
Set in an open world tropical island, hordes of different festering zombies await players around every corner while they embark on a variety of thrilling missions through the holiday resort. With firearms and ammunition being scarce the player must rely on utilising found items as weapons for self-defense and fight off zombie hordes in intense melee combat. A diverse range of items can be collected and will later serve to transform the player’s ordinary makeshift weapons into serious instruments of destruction.
In addition to satisfying even the most bloodthirsty action fan’s fantasy, Dead Island also features role-playing elements which allow the player to develop one of the game’s unique character classes according to their preferences, all the while learning new skills and fresh tactics during their journey through the perilous environments of the island. What’s more, anytime during a game up to four players can seamlessly join together and experience the intense combat and immersive story with cooperative gameplay.
This new edition gives players who are yet to experience the beautiful terror of Dead Island a version packed with content: including the Bloodbath Arena mode, the Ryder White’s Campaign single-player story arc and the blueprint for the highly-coveted Ripper weapon mod.
“There’s nothing more satisfying than gracefully tossing a normal, inconspicuous looking kitchen knife at some foul creature and bringing complete decapitation to their world,” mused Aubrey Norris, Deep Silver’s Manager of Suspicious Radio Voices, while wearing a smooth velvet smoking jacket and pouring a glass of some questionable-looking red substance on the rocks. “By unleashing – I mean, releasing- the Dead Island Game of the Year Edition upon the world, we feel that we are doing our part to empower the world with the ultimate survival tutorial. At Deep Silver, ladies and gentlemen, We. Make. SURVIVORS. *thunderclap*”
About Ryder White’s Campaign
Offering a new unique perspective into the main story of Dead Island, the player will play as Ryder White, the main game’s antagonist. Ryder White’s Campaign offers players the chance to learn more about his motivations and why, from his point of view, he did what he had to do, showing him both as a military man and a loving husband in a fresh take on the Dead Island story. The campaign includes a single player story arc with several hours of gameplay as well as two blueprints and weapons to further expand the already impressive arsenal of Dead Island.
About Bloodbath Arena
In Bloodbath Arena four different arenas offer new challenges that can be played alone or in coop mode. It’s a desperate fight for survival where waves after waves of unrelenting zombies attack, one more gruesome than the next! What’s more, characters can loot experience points and items and bring them over to the campaign mode as well as compare their skills in zombie elimination in the arena’s leaderboards.
The Dead Island: Game of the Year Edition, rated M for Mature, will be released for the PS3, X360 and PC on June 26th, 2012 for a suggested retail price of $29.99.
Key Features :
- Ultra-realistic combat
- Intense and amazingly realistic hand-to-hand combat based on dynamic character moves and camera angles
- Realistic physical reactions of opponents to hits
- Exceptionally faithful and detailed damage model, showing damaged skin, muscles and even bones
- Innovative system of targeting and hitting the opponents gives you precise control and a realistic combat feel
- Advanced Artificial Life System
- AL system allows you to take advantage of instinctive behaviors of groups and individual opponents
- Living, breathing and dynamically changing ecosystem faced with the destructive influence of a spreading epidemic
- Realistic and spontaneous NPC behavior
- Through your actions, actively influence NPC reactions
- Non-linear gameplay
- Explore a vast, open world of a tropical island, on foot or in vehicles
- Freedom of choosing your allies and completing tasks that bring you closer to the finale
- Player decisions influence the way in which the game progresses, making it a multi-threaded story
- Fully Interactive Environments
- The ability to use all elements of the environment as weapons
- A liquid, gas and electricity physics simulation system, which allows you to create your own unique ways of eliminating enemies
More articles about Dead Island