Unchained Blades follows the story of the vengeful dragon emperor named Fang. After being stripped of his powers by the goddess Clunea, Fang embarks on a journey for revenge, hoping to regain his true form. Along the way, Fang is joined on his quest by a cowardly golem prince, a shy medusa priestess, a young phoenix clan maiden, and many other mythical beings seeking to meet with the goddess.
Boasting a veritable who’s who of famous Japanese artists, Unchained Blades represents a collaboration between some of the best talent in the industry. The main character Fang was designed by Pako, most famous for his work on the Shining Force series, while other characters were fashioned by artists such as Toshiyuki Kubooka (Lunar), Shinichiro Otsuka (Summon Night), and Kazushi Hagiwara (Bastard!!), to name a few.
In Unchained Blades, players journey through the game with a party of up to four characters, moving through dungeons in a first-person perspective and engaging in turn-based combat along the way. The game features a unique “Unchain” system, which enables players to try and convince monsters to follow them and help them on their quest. If an enemy monster is successfully “Unchained,” that monster will then join the player’s party and help them in the future by blocking attacks or supplying players with special offensive abilities. Each character in the player’s four person party can hold up to four “unchained” creatures, ensuring plenty of combat variety. The game has also been completely redubbed with new English voice-overs and boasts over 60 hours of gameplay.
- Classic Dungeon-Crawling and Turn-Based Gameplay: Journeying through grid-based dungeons in first-person view while fighting over 180 varieties of monsters in classic turn-based battle, it provides over 50 hours of gameplay.
- Story-driven Narrative with Voice-overs: A tale of exacting revenge by an arrogant dragon on the goddess that stole his power is brought to life with all-new English voice-overs.
- 4-Person Battle Party with Unique and Customizable Characters: Supporting characters such as a golem, medusa and phoenix each have their own default attributes, but additional skills are customizable by allocating growth points to their Skill Map to determine which growth path and abilities to pursue.
- Compilation of Multiple Talented Artists: Boasting character designs from 14 celebrated artists, including Pako (Shining series), Toshiyuki Kubooka (Lunar series), Kumichi Yoshizuki (Someday’s Dreamers), Shinichiro Otsuka (Summon Night), Sunaho Tobe (Hexyz Force) and Kazushi Hagiwara (Bastard!!), it has a diverse set of character designs unlike any other game.
- Core Team of Experienced Game Creators: With Takashi Hino (Grandia) as the scenario designer, Toshio Akashi (Lunar) as the director, and a soundtrack composed by acclaimed game music arranger Tsutomu Narita (Xenoblade Chronicles) with Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy) contributing the theme song, development was entrusted to the hands of industry veterans.
Unchained Blades will be available in North America as a digital download title on PlayStation Network at a price of $29.99.
More articles about Unchained Blades