On a future Earth ravaged by aliens and 50 years of global war, a civilization emerges that rejects the old ways to forge a new destiny in a wild frontier. Can the connection between a lawman trying to keep his town safe and a new kind of gold rush in San Francisco hold the only hope for a better future?
The game combines the intense action of a “AAA” console shooter, with the persistence, scale, and customization of an MMO, while its TV counterpart weaves the rich tapestry of the world into a series with the scope, characters, and drama of a classic sci-fi epic. Because they exist in a single universe, the show and the game will influence each other and evolve together over time, with actions in both mediums driving the overall story of Defiance.
With the use of Havok’s technology Trion was able to bring a new level of interactive gameplay to Defiance. The cross-platform integration allows developers access to a powerful and flexible set of products designed to work within a studio’s particular production pipeline pushing creativity to new heights.
“Havok’s technology exceeded our expectations with Rift, so it was an obvious choice to continue using their technology for Defiance to bring physical and immersive gameplay experience to MMO fans,” Rob Hill, Sr. Producer, Trion Worlds, commented. “Havok really allowed us to add high fidelity character interaction and dynamics to the game. Additionally, Havok’s support team was highly knowledgeable and really helped us achieve some aggressive goals in terms of pushing the game beyond limits.”
“Defiance is an amazing title for 2013, and we are excited to be a part of it,” said Brian Waddle, VP of Worldwide Sales and Marketing at Havok. “The Trion team really brought their vision to life and we were happy that they could leverage Havok’s optimized physics and animation technologies to enhance creativity behind such a technically challenging, but highly anticipated game.”
- An Adventure For The Masses – Intense third-person shooter gameplay focused on story-driven missions designed to be played solo or with other live players in the world around you.
- A Massive, Persistent World - Fully realized, persistent open world (no loading screens between zones) set in a futuristic San Francisco Bay Area, supporting tens of thousands of simultaneous live players.
- Customize Your Character - Custom character creation, where you can play as a human or alien, modify your appearance, select different specializations, and become a unique citizen of the world.
- Player Progression Evolved - Console-native shooter with a multitude of weapons, armors, and special abilities that evolve with experience.
- Unending Gameplay - With missions, emergencies, and endless exploration opportunities across a giant game world, Defiance is the genre-changing title that is sure to keep players engaged for years.
Attendees of this year’s E3 will have the opportunity to get hands-on experience with the game.
More articles about Defiance