Two months after its initial launch in 2010 Square Enix President and CEO Yoichi Wada issued a statement that the publisher was disappointed in "the level of enjoyability" of the game, and "approach improvements under new leadership and with a restructured team." After putting the PS3 version on hold Indefinitely, not much had been heard of the title since, and now almost two years later Square Enix is finally ready to talk about the rebuilt and redesigned MMORPG.
“Since announcing our plans for the future of the title last October, we have been working tirelessly to include all of the elements that we have promised in Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. This new title not only becomes a symbol of a completely new Final Fantasy XIV, but also marks the beginning of a new stage as the latest title in the Final Fantasy series. I hope you’re looking forward to it!” said Naoki Yoshida, producer/director of Final Fantasy XIV.
A new website dedicated to Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn also went live today, which offers background information on the realm of Eorzea, its inhabitants and the much larger world of Hydaelyn. The website will also serve as the central location for regular updates and news about the game.
In the past, the city-states battled tirelessly, vying for domination and hegemony. Death-mongering beast tribes pillaged the land unchecked, leaving only destruction in their wake. Unseen enemies lurked beyond the borders, striking at the slightest provocation or show of weakness. The history of Eorzea is a tapestry woven of war and strife, stained with the blood of those gone before, and the tears and ash of fallen endeavor.
And yet the love the gods bear this unforgiving land endures, now as always. What is the allure of this seemingly forsaken place? With what hope and to what end do would-be inhabitants journey here to live out their days?
The answer lies with that which gives form to Hydaelyn and all myriad creation in it – crystals. The cornerstone of all things, it is these crystallized manifestations of the aether that beckon the people to come, risking all in the undertaking.
And so it is that adventures too have harkened the call – to bear witness to the epic set to unfold in this land. This Eorzea.
- Conceived and produced by notable Final Fantasy developers – Produced by Hiromichi Tanaka (Final Fantasy I, II, III, XI) and directed by Nobuaki Komoto (Final Fantasy IX, XI), with art direction by Akihiko Yoshida (Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy XII) and musical score by Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy series).
- In-depth character creation – Choose a race and clan before going on to customize your avatar’s face, hairstyle, skin color and more, with subtle adjustments allowing for limitless possibilities.
- The Armoury System – With defining emphasis on the game’s weapons and tools, the Armoury System is a unique class system that influences both character development and an individual’s style of play. With it, players have the flexibility and freedom to fight, craft and gather whenever and however they so choose. Simply equipping an item will automatically cause the character to take on the class associated with it.
- Aetheryte transportation–Traverse the realm of Eorzea instantly using this seemingly supernatural teleportation system.
- Solo or party play – Adventure alone or in the company of others as you undertake quests and engage in battles on your travels through Eorzea.
More articles about Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn