It has been ten years since the Raccoon City incident and the President of the United States has decided to reveal the truth behind what took place in the belief that it will curb the current resurgence in bioterrorist activity. Due to be by the President’s side is his personal friend and Raccoon City survivor, Leon S. Kennedy, but when the venue suffers a bioterrorist attack, Leon is forced to face a President transformed beyond recognition and make his hardest ever decision. At the same time, Bioterrorism Security Assessment Alliance member Chris Redfield arrives in China, itself under threat of a bioterrorist attack. With no country safe from these attacks and the ensuing outbreaks, the entire world’s population is united by a common fear that there is no hope left.
In a first for the franchise, Resident Evil 6 sees series favorites Leon and Chris come together to face this unprecedented threat. They will be joined by new characters, each with their own unique perspective and involvement, in this relentless dramatic horror experience enacted on a global scale.
It has already been revealed that Chris Redfield heads to China during the course of the game but we can now confirm that the main location in China will be a fictitious coastal town called Lanshiang.
Resident Evil 6 features three distinct, yet interwoven story threads, each with their own pair of protagonists for either solo or co-op play, both offline and online. Leon S. Kennedy is paired with US government agent Helena Harper, while Chris Redfield teams up with fellow BSAA member Piers Nivans. Finally, gun for hire and son of the infamous Albert Wesker, Jake Muller, is joined by Sherry Birkin, the daughter of former key Umbrella scientists, William and Annette. All six must face a new horror - the highly virulent C-virus that has been unleashed on an unsuspecting and unprepared world, creating new and deadly transformations.
Capcom revealed that Miss Ada Wong, known from Resident Evil 2 and 4, will return as a playable character, but only become available after the player finished the campaigns dedicated to Leon, Chris and Jake.
Agent Hunt mode is a new game type which unlocks one you have completed the game, allowing you (and friends in co-op) to play through the game again, with the added caveat that the enemies "could" be replaced by other players that join your game at any time. You will be notified when a player enters your game on the opposite side, but it will not inform you how many AIs have been replaced by actual real life players, or which of the enemies creatures they control.
- Global horror – No longer confined to a specific location, the outbreak of the C-virus is worldwide; the game action takes place in North America, Eastern Europe and China
- Multiple characters and intertwined plots – Play as Leon S. Kennedy, BSAA member Chris Redfield, and son of Albert Wesker, Jake Muller; with their respective partners U.S. government agent Helena Harper, BSAA member Piers Nivans and Sherry Birkin
- The action also crosses paths – At significant points when the narrative draws two characters together, the Crossover mechanic allows up to four players to experience the horror together online
- Solo or co-op – Both single- and two-player co-op gameplay either offline or online
- New challenges – Confront the results of the C-virus in all its deadly forms; zombies return but can now run, jump at players and use weapons; enemies known as J'avo can regenerate when injured and mutate affected body parts into different forms, so players will have to rethink and adapt; the C-virus has also given rise to the Chrysalide, which spawns a host of horrific creatures
- Vehicle-based action – Resident Evil 6 includes sections that feature vehicles such as motorbikes, cars and snowmobiles
- Mercenaries returns - Players can again enjoy the popular Mercenaries Mode
- Redesigned control system – Resident Evil 6 allows players to shoot while moving, slide, roll in any direction and take cover
- Localized voice-over – Includes fully localized voice-overs in English, French, German, Italian and Spanish as well as subtitles in Brazilian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese and Russian.
More articles about Resident Evil 6