The game follows the 2010 Medal of Honor reboot that moved the series out of World War II into war-torn Afghanistan and introduced the U.S. Tier 1 Operator.
From rescuing hostages in the Philippines to eliminating the pirate threat on the Somali Coast, the game is an up close and personal look into the fight against today’s global terror threat. Written by U.S. Tier 1 Operators while deployed overseas, Medal of Honor Warfighter delivers an aggressive, gritty and authentic experience that puts gamers in the boots of the world’s most precise and disciplined warriors.
Medal of Honor Warfighter tells the personal story of U.S. Tier 1 Operator “Preacher,” as he returns home only to find his family torn apart from years of combat deployment. Trying to pick up the pieces and salvage what remains of his marriage, Preacher is reminded of what he’s fighting for - family. But when a deadly explosive known as PETN penetrates civilian borders and his two worlds collide, Preacher and his fellow teammates are sent in to do what they do best – solve the problem.
Electronic Arts and Sony Pictures Entertainment announced a unique, philanthropic-directed, cross-promotional partnership in North America that will result in a $1 million minimum donation to charities benefiting the nation’s veterans. In anticipation of the release of the Columbia Pictures and Annapurna Pictures’ Zero Dark Thirty, directed by Academy Award winner Kathryn Bigelow and written by Mark Boal, and the EA game Medal of Honor: Warfighter, players can help give back to the nation’s real warfighters with the Medal of Honor Warfighter Zero Dark Thirty Map Pack. EA will donate a portion ($1) of map pack sales as part of its commitment to give back at least $1 million through its Project HONOR campaign, a program created to drive charitable contributions to nonprofit veterans organizations. The pack will be available for sale in North America (already included in the Limited Edition) the week of December 17, in conjunction with the theatrical debut of Zero Dark Thirty, for $9.99.
“Working with Project HONOR is a meaningful way for us to continue our support for combat veterans throughout the armed services,” said Mark Boal, writer-producer of Zero Dark Thirty. “We are thrilled to be a part of this effort, and we’re humbled that EA is stepping up to the plate with such a significant contribution.”
The Medal of Honor Warfighter Zero Dark Thirty Map Pack includes two new multiplayer maps inspired by real world locations. Set in one of the most dangerous hotspots in the world, the first map is Darra Gun Market, Pakistan’s flourishing arms bazaar. Darra, the largest illegal arms market in the world, is a tribal land based on two principles – hospitality and revenge. No police are allowed to enter the area and the laws are made by the tribal leader. The second location is Chitral, which sits in the far north of Pakistan, bounded by Afghanistan to the west and China to the north. It is a remote, rugged area governed by tribes that will not allow even the Pakistani army to operate there.
“Medal of Honor Warfighter is inspired by real world events, real operations, and real warriors,” said Peter Moore, Chief Operating Officer at EA.“We’ve teamed up with Sony Pictures Entertainment to give back to the Special Operations community in honor of the sacrifices they and their families have made for their country and to connect people to the story of the greatest manhunt our world has seen.”
In multiplayer, gamers around the world can represent their nation’s Tier 1 Operators on the global battlefield. The game features 12 different Tier 1 Operators from a variety of nations including the Australian SASR, British SAS, German KSK and Polish GROM among others. For the first time in the series, Medal of Honor Warfighter introduces multi-national Tier 1 “blue-vs-blue” team play where the world’s best-of-the-best warriors go head-to-head in online competition.
Utilizing the advanced power of the Frostbite 2 game engine, Medal of Honor Warfighter is being developed by Danger Close Games in Los Angeles, California. Medal of Honor Warfighter sees the return of key development leads that helped reboot the multi-platinum hit in 2010. The core team is bolstered by industry veterans who hail from DICE, Treyarch and other award-winning game studios. Together, this team is united behind a single engine platform, and a single vision for the game – authenticity, respect and honor for today’s Warfighters, with real emotion, real threats and a game designed to highlight the extraordinary nature of the material.
- Dotted Line to Real World Events - From rescuing hostages in Abu Sayyaf’s Basilan, Phillipines stronghold to assaulting Al-Shabaab’s “Pirate Town” on the Somali Coast, gamers step into the boots of Tier 1 Operators as they hunt down the global threat of PETN. Medal of Honor Warfighter is the only game that gives players a view into these real world events and lets them experience the action as it might have unfolded.
- The Power of Frostbite 2 – Leveraging the power of the ground-breaking Frostbite 2 engine, Medal of Honor Warfighter delivers incredible video and audio fidelity to enhance the intensity of the battle and deliver this year’s most authentic war experience.
- War is Personal for the Entire Family –Medal of Honor Warfighter goes beyond the battlefield and reveals the heartbreaking side of war, told through the eyes of military families. With a story written by Operators from this community, Medal of Honor Warfighter unveils intimate insights into the sacrifices of the warriors on the ground – and their families.
- National Pride Online with Global Tier 1 – Internationally, allied military forces also possess their own elite units with similar capabilities. With Medal of Honor Warfighter gamers can represent their nation’s Tier 1 Operators on the global battlefield. For the first time, the Medal of Honor brand introduces multi-national Tier 1 blue-vs-blue team play where the world’s best of the best warriors go head-to-head in combat. The game features 12 different Tier 1 units from a variety of nations including the British SAS, Australian SASR, German KSK and Polish GROM.
- One Studio, One Vision – Developed by Danger Close Games in Los Angeles, California, Medal of Honor Warfighter sees the return of key development leads who helped reboot the multi-platinum hit in 2010. The core team is bolstered by industry veterans who hail from DICE, Treyarch and more. Together, this team is united behind a single vision for the game – authenticity, respect and honor for today’s warfighters, with real emotion, real threats and a game designed to highlight the extraordinary nature of the material.
More articles about Medal of Honor: Warfighter