It has been ten years since the Raccoon City incident and the President of the United States has decided to reveal the truth behind what took place in the belief that it will curb the current resurgence in bioterrorist activity. Due to be by the President’s side is his personal friend and Raccoon City survivor, Leon S. Kennedy, but when the venue suffers a bioterrorist attack, Leon is forced to face a President transformed beyond recognition and make his hardest ever decision. At the same time, Bioterrorism Security Assessment Alliance member Chris Redfield arrives in China, itself under threat of a bioterrorist attack. With no country safe from these attacks and the ensuing outbreaks, the entire world’s population is united by a common fear that there is no hope left.
In a first for the franchise, Resident Evil 6 sees series favorites Leon and Chris come together to face this unprecedented threat. They will be joined by new characters, each with their own unique perspective and involvement, in this relentless dramatic horror experience enacted on a global scale.
It has already been revealed that Chris Redfield heads to China during the course of the game but we can now confirm that the main location in China will be a fictitious coastal town called Lanshiang.
Resident Evil 6 features three distinct, yet interwoven story threads, each with their own pair of protagonists for either solo or co-op play, both offline and online. Leon S. Kennedy is paired with US government agent Helena Harper, while Chris Redfield teams up with fellow BSAA member Piers Nivans. Finally, gun for hire and son of the infamous Albert Wesker, Jake Muller, is joined by Sherry Birkin, the daughter of former key Umbrella scientists, William and Annette. All six must face a new horror - the highly virulent C-virus that has been unleashed on an unsuspecting and unprepared world, creating new and deadly transformations.
Capcom confirmed that the Resident Evil 6 experience will be further enhanced with the release of new modes and additional content following the launch.
Available as downloadable content, three new gameplay modes will expand on the multiplayer elements available in the retail version and deliver new and exciting ways to enjoy the world of Resident Evil 6.
- Survivors Mode takes the classic solo- and team-based versus mode and adds a twist. Get killed and you respawn as an enemy character with the ability to attack the human characters. Take down two human characters to resurrect in human form. Last man or team standing wins.
- In Predator Mode, one player takes on the role of the Ustanak, the fearsome B.O.W. that stalks Jake Muller throughout his campaign, and tries to eliminate the human players. The humans’ task: stop the deadly B.O.W. in its tracks, or at least survive until the end of the session.
- Choosing the human side in Siege Mode will see players protecting a single NPC, while as a member of the enemy team, players will need to eliminate that same NPC. If the NPC is still alive at the end of the time period, the human team wins.
Survivors, Predator and Siege modes will all support up to six players online and be played using maps from Mercenaries Mode.
Players will be able to track their accomplishments in these three modes alongside their main campaign statistics and compare their performance with others by registering on ResidentEvil.Net, the free online service that launches alongside Resident Evil 6.
Further post-launch downloadable content for Resident Evil 6 will include additional maps for Mercenaries, which can in turn then be used as maps for Survivors, Predator and Siege modes, plus other items yet to be announced.
- Global horror – No longer confined to a specific location, the outbreak of the C-virus is worldwide; the game action takes place in North America, Eastern Europe and China
- Multiple characters and intertwined plots – Play as Leon S. Kennedy, BSAA member Chris Redfield, and son of Albert Wesker, Jake Muller; with their respective partners U.S. government agent Helena Harper, BSAA member Piers Nivans and Sherry Birkin
- The action also crosses paths – At significant points when the narrative draws two characters together, the Crossover mechanic allows up to four players to experience the horror together online
- Solo or co-op – Both single- and two-player co-op gameplay either offline or online
- New challenges – Confront the results of the C-virus in all its deadly forms; zombies return but can now run, jump at players and use weapons; enemies known as J'avo can regenerate when injured and mutate affected body parts into different forms, so players will have to rethink and adapt; the C-virus has also given rise to the Chrysalide, which spawns a host of horrific creatures
- Vehicle-based action – Resident Evil 6 includes sections that feature vehicles such as motorbikes, cars and snowmobiles
- Mercenaries returns - Players can again enjoy the popular Mercenaries Mode
- Redesigned control system – Resident Evil 6 allows players to shoot while moving, slide, roll in any direction and take cover
- Localized voice-over – Includes fully localized voice-overs in English, French, German, Italian and Spanish as well as subtitles in Brazilian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese and Russian.
More articles about Resident Evil 6