It has been 25 years since the malevolent Entity was defeated, and the space-gate closed, liberating humanity from the yoke of slavery. In the meantime, humanity has spread across the solar system, and seen the emergence of the first “Psis”: psychically-gifted individuals who can direct the course of space, time and matter by the power of thought alone.
However, all may not be as it seems: as the first Psis reach maturity, humanity finds itself once more under attack by beings from distant stars, who attack wherever the Psis are to be found. Are the Psis the next stage of human evolution, or a subtle curse that will lead to the downfall of the entire species? All is to be discovered.
"Nexus 2 is a very special project for the company", said company director Mike Horneman, "Nexus was our first game, and we still have many of the original team-members on board, with full plans in place for what we'd do for a sequel".
"We re-launched the original Nexus on Steam a while ago, and even now we see a substantial amount of new players buying the game each month", said Horneman. "We have a very vocal fan base, and know that there's a large number of people out there who would love to see a sequel made".
HD and MWE are looking to finance the project with a mixture of their own funds supported by crowdfunding.
"We're happy to put a large chunk of our own resources into making Nexus 2", said Horneman, "but realistically we cannot fund the whole project ourselves. So, with Kickstarter, we can offer all our fans out there a chance to be part of the Nexus 2 project.”
“The more you pledge, the more you will benefit; from thanks in the credits, through special boxed editions, right up to designing spaceships that will appear in the game. The largest donor will also receive a completely unique version of the game, where he or she is the hero, complete with facial likeness and voice over. We’re all very excited!”
The gameplay of Nexus is everything the discerning Space Admiral could desire. Alongside improvements and polish across the board to existing graphics and gameplay, there is also a wealth of new features to expand and enrich the gameplay to ever-greater heights.
- Psis: a new angle to gameplay: The Psis are a new class of NPC, who can be added to the crew of certain ships. Each Psi has a unique power, allowing them to influence the course of battle, and turn a lost cause into a triumphant victory. Examples here are the Micro Jump, allowing instantaneous short-range teleportation, or the Psychic Clone, whereby the Psi creates an illusory decoy ship to draw fire away from the real one.
- State of the art graphics: Nexus 2 will be made with the Unreal Engine, the industry gold standard for top-quality game visuals, which has been used in countless AAA games, and which is simply the best, most professional tool available to us. Using their lavishly-developed tools, we will be able to raise the bar on Nexus 2’s visual appearance to a level we could only dream of when developing the original. The searing planetary eclipses, undulating asteroid fields, dazzling energy blasts and titanic, roiling explosions that are the keystones of the Nexus experience will be brought to life like never before.
- Modular Ship Design: The upgraded game engine will permit ships to be created from combining multiple modules, allowing a much wider range of ship customisation.
- In battle, this feature means that individual parts of a ship can be destroyed, resulting not only in a tactically-richer game experience, but also one which is highly pleasing graphically.
- Capital Ships and Space Stations: Using the Modular system, we can now build ships of a larger scale than ever before. Nexus 2 will introduce monstrous capital ships that will dwarf anything seen in the previous game, as well as immense space stations, bristling with weapons and defensive systems.Truly, these will be opponents that will test the player to the very limits of his ability.
- Squadron Customisation: One of the criticisms of the original Nexus was that the player couldn’t customise the load-out of the various gunboats, bombers and fighters under his command. In Nexus 2, you will have full control over every weapon and system choice, allowing you to develop completely new tactics and battle plans.
More articles about Nexus 2: The Gods Awaken