Playing as one of six character classes, players find themselves banished for their past misdeeds to the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. There, they will encounter hundreds of species of opponents laden with loot and mysterious artifacts as they explore the abandoned continent.
Players will be able to purchase in-game perks, such as extra victory animations, clothing and special effects. To protect the integrity of the game for all players, Grinding Gear Games has decided not to sell abilities or experience points – ensuring a level-playing field for everyone in game.
With an open-ended and flexible skill and item system, randomised items and random dungeons, the game promises three acts of visceral combat gameplay, with additional expansions already planned.
Players may now experience Act 3 of the Path of Exile story, where they can explore abandoned docks, markets, temples and sewers in the ruined city of Sarn to uncover the dark truth of their exile. The company also stressed there will be no further character wipes after the Open Beta launch.
Path of Exile has already raised over USD$2.36 million in crowd-funded support, with those supporters gaining early access in the earlier closed beta, as well as some exclusive items.
"We've had amazing support from our community throughout development," said Chris Wilson, producer for Grinding Gear Games. "Their belief in our vision is making is possible to deliver a great game."
- A dark and deep action RPG
- Build unlimited unique characters on a gigantic skill tree
- Combine over 110 skill gems to create unique combat strategies
- Explore a dark and gritty world rendered from a fixed 3D perspective
- Download and play for free, but never ‘pay-to-win’
- Explore randomly generated levels for extreme replayability
- Craft weapons, magic items and even end-game maps to become more powerful
- Cooperate or compete with thousands of other exiles in a persistent online world
- Ascend online ladders in every game mode
- Battle in PVP tournaments for worldwide recognition
More articles about Path of Exile