Dex also features non-linear level design, with multiple possible approaches to enemies and obstacles (stealth, hacking, fighting). All of Dex takes place on two distinct planes of existence, which constantly overlap and interact (physical reality and cyberspace).
The main protagonist – a young woman leading an ordinary corporate life – is approached by a legendary hacker named Raycast. She is asked to play a part in the events surrounding the enigmatic AI known as Kether. The reason for her recruitment is her innate ability to move freely through cyberspace, without a “jack” or any kind of implant. The whole story serves as a grinding stone between the heroine (Dex), the local low-life, the hackers (the Grid), the corporations (the Complex), and Kether. Kether is struggling to reach the Singularity, a theoretical “event horizon” when AI will surpass human intelligence. The corporations want to rule Kether, the hackers want it to free itself and lead mankind to a next evolutionary stage – but no one knows what the real outcome will be.
The story of Dex is deeply inspired by the cyberpunk novels of William Gibson and other cyberpunk authors.
Dynamics and pacing are reminiscent of Castlevania or Metroid titles with a smattering of the Deus Ex and Splinter Cell series (for stealth features). Other notable inspirations include Blackthorne and Flashback.
With less than two days to go indie developer Dreadlocks reached its Wii U kickstarter stretch goal. The campaign ends Thursday 12th December 5 PM CET (11 AM EST), so fans interestred in supporting the project can still pledge their support.
- Rare melding of realism and creative vision: Realistic action, mature storyline, and complex character interactions meld with hand-drawn characters, animations, and locations, arcade-style melee combat, and an original conception of cyberspace.
- Multiple solutions to problems: Operate in cyberspace or normal reality. Overcome obstacles using skills, weapons, special equipment…
- Meaningful character progression choices: Will you be a silent assassin, a hacker, or a straightforward gunfighter? Improve your character and gear to unlock gameplay-changing upgrades that reinforce and customize your gameplay style.
- Unique hacking mechanic: Transfer your consciousness to your avatar, overcome intrusion countermeasures, take action, and then return back to your body in a fraction of a real-time second to see the results – deactivated turrets, overloaded devices, enemies with crippled implants…
- Neo-cyberpunk: Story deeply inspired by the cyberpunk novels of William Gibson and other classical cyberpunk authors, flavored with a contemporary concept of augmented reality.
- Rich game world and mindful level design: Visit diverse locations in Harbor Prime, a futuristic city complete with luxurious skyscrapers, run-down shantytowns, and seedy red-light districts. Take part in street brawls, steal corporate data, overcome environmental hazards, and, of course, stay alive – no easy task.
- Full voice acting: Interactive dialogues using hand-drawn sprite animations, fully voice-acted by professional actors.
- Multiplatform development: Game is being developed in the Unity 3D game engine for PC (Windows), Mac, Linux, and OUYA.
- DRM-Free: Dex will be distributed DRM-Free, with an option to receive a Steam key
More articles about Dex