Land units are corps and army level, supplemented with specialized divisions. Naval units include individual counters for every carrier, battleship, cruiser, and light cruiser in the war. Using 1000+ unique bitmapped images, air units represent groups of 250 to 500 airplanes. With 6000+ unique units, 250+ countries, and a global map of 70,200 hexes, World in Flames is the premier World War II grand strategy game.
Nine of the eleven scenarios from Australian Design Group’s World in Flames Final Edition are included, and they range from the small 5 turn Barbarossa offensive in Russia and the 5 turn Guadalcanal battle in the Pacific, through to the 36 turn Global War campaign which spans all of Europe, Africa, the Middle East, Asia, the Atlantic, and the Pacific. You can play either the Axis or the Allied side or take the role of one of the 8 major powers. Besides solitaire and head-to-head, you can play over the Internet. The last mode of play is for two players, Axis versus Allies.
In addition to the full set of rules from World in Flames, Final Edition, there are 58 optional rules. Australian Design Group’s expansion modules Ships in Flames and Planes in Flames are incorporated into the basic game, but the inclusion of other expansion modules, such as Mech in Flames, Carrier Planes in Flames, and Cruisers in Flames, depends on which optional rules are selected.
This simulation models national production from conveying raw resources to factories using rail lines and overseas pipelines for producing infantry, armor, naval, and air combat units. Because oil was so important during World War II, there are separate optional rules for synthetic oil plants and deployment of oil reserves to the front lines.
Game units represent armies and corps, aircraft carriers, naval task forces, and air groups that took part in World War II. Everything you need to re-fight the greatest conflict in history is provided in World in Flames. The players make the strategic decisions that decide the fate of nations. What forces to produce, where to commit them, when and how? No two games of World in Flames play the same, no strategy is foolproof, any decision may have unforeseen, long-term consequences.
If you want to change the world then World in Flames is for you.
- The world map accurately depicts terrain at 90 kilometers per hex showing all major rivers, coastlines, island chains, and mountain ranges.
- Thousands of units with quantified historical capabilities from hundreds of different countries.
- Detailed simulation of the interactions between land, sea, and air forces on a global scale.
- 8 major powers: Germany, Italy, Japan, China, Commonwealth, France, USA, USSR.
- 250+ countries.
- 70,200 hexes (195 hex rows high by 360 hex columns around)
- 12 terrain types: Clear, Forest, Swamp, Jungle, Mountain, Desert, Desert-mountain, Ice, Lake, Sea, Qattara Depression, and Tundra.
- 4000+ named locations on the map.
- 5000+ unique bitmapped hexes for coastal terrain.
- 7000+ unique bitmapped hexes for rivers.
- 70 unit types.
- Detailed unique bitmapped images for 1200 air units and 1000 capital ships.
- Convoy pipelines, overseas supply lines, and historically accurate rail lines worldwide.
More articles about World In Flames