Featuring intense close-quarters combat, authentically inspired settings and weaponry, rich customization options, and large-scale 64-player battles, War of the Vikings will add a new unforgettable experience to Paradox’s close combat arsenal.
The intensity is greater and the beards are longer in War of the Vikings, where players must band together on the battlefields of 9th and 10th Century England and fight to conquer or defend Britannia. Environments, weapons, and visuals drawn from Viking Age history will immerse players in a bloody new conflict between the Vikings and the Saxons, with each warrior hand-designed by its player from a wide variety of customization options. Built on skill-driven gameplay and a deep combat system, War of the Vikings will bring close combat closer than ever.
Paradox Interactive is offering a weekend of free Steam access to its upcoming close-combat game War of the Vikings.
Currently available in Beta via Steam Early Access, War of the Vikings will appear for free in every Steam member’s library from December 5, 2013 until December 8, 2013. Players can purchase War of the Vikings in Early Access to keep playing after the weekend is over and enjoy the game up to and beyond its official release.
Players who decide to try their hand at the game's skill-based combat will also have a chance to see a new gameplay mode, “Conquest.” The new content update is available now, celebrating the start of the Free to Play Weekend.
Warriors brave enough to keep playing War of the Vikings after the free weekend will not only gain access to the javelins (available now), but can also look forward to a new weapon category in the form of the trusty spear due to arrive in our largest update yet thus far War of the Vikings. Combatants facing these new weapons will have to quickly rethink their defensive strategies, as javelins can instantly pierce through shields while spears can force opponents backwards. These abilities become even more dangerous on an all-new cliff-side map, which challenges players to fight their way from the beach all the way up to a monastery atop a high cliff. The new map supports Team Deathmatch, Arena, and the new Conquest game modes. In addition, a new “Battle Chatter” system is being added on a limited basis, letting certain characters respond audibly to in-game events. Characters will call out thanks to their teammates when revived, or warn allies of incoming archer fire – or simply bellow angrily at their enemies.
War of the Vikings features:
- History Comes to Life (and then you kill it) – Historically inspired content from the Viking Age, including levels and environments, weapons, helmets, shields, and heraldry
- Close Combat and Ranged Ravaging – Skill-driven fighting blends swinging, blocking, and dodging with intense ranged combat, including arrows, spears, and throwing axes
- Mod Your Squad – Enhanced squad features allow players to define a role for their warriors in battle using custom squad perks to buff your hirdmen
- A Viking to Your Liking – Design your own Viking or Saxon warrior, choosing everything from weapons and armor to battle perks, customized taunts to unhinge your foes, and a variety of beard options
- Pick Your Battles – Game modes include up to 64-player epic battles, new hardcore “Pitched Arena” mode with 32 players and no respawns, and a Training Ground to test out new character builds
More articles about War of the Vikings