D'arc is sixteen-years-old. From the age of six, he has studied the magic of the Elements, under the discerning eyes of Iginor's Masters. After a decade confined to the Mages' Tower, and a life of academics and magical mastery, the inquisitive initiate often dreams of exploring the world beyond.
He is about to get that chance.
D'arc is summoned to the Tower's Hallowed Hall, where the Masters set him a trio of challenges: return with the lock of an enchantress's hair, a griffon's egg, and the horn of a rare creature known as a trinicorn.
Join D'arc as he journeys through the medieval-styled realm of Iginor. Brave a redcap goblin infested forest. Navigate a vast lake to encounter an evil so pure, not even beauty can disguise it. Ascend to the peaks of Flyteria, a valley of winged warriors once dedicated to protection of the human town.
Three quests. One chance.
Succeed and he shall take his place among his fellow Mages.
Fail and nobody shall remember his name.
Development of Mage's Initiation started in February 2011, after a community poll revealed that an adventure / RPG hybrid was the type of game their fans wanted most. The team has self-funded the project thus far and are prepared to keep doing so, but that could add years to the development time. So, they're turning to Kickstarter for a boost.
But raising money isn't the only goal. All along, Himalaya has planned to release a boxed Collector's Edition and other goodies - the sorts of "feelies" that used to come standard in game boxes. (Remember those days?!) Without an infrastructure for taking orders and processing payments, this small team would have to pull themselves away from the game's development to get it done. But with Kickstarter, they can make their feelie dreams a reality. And the goodies they're offering... let's just say they're pretty sweet!
- A uniquely-crafted RPG/Adventure game. Gain new spells, and abilities as your character improves. No stat grinding!
- Reminiscent of Sierra's classic "Quest for Glory" and "King's Quest" series'.
- Play and replay as one of four Mage classes (Water, Air, Fire, and Earth), each with unique spells, puzzles, and solutions.
- Master numerous magical spells, unique to your chosen element.
- Gain new strengths, spells, and abilities as your character improves.
- Beautifully detailed, hi-res pixel-art for character sprites and animations.
- Over 30 stunningly detailed character portraits, fully voiced and lip-synced.
- 2D Hand-drawn and computer-aided cutscenes.
- A complete digital music soundtrack, brimming with magic and mystery.
- Seek out magical duels and battles against a horrid horde of enemies and monsters.
- A sizable cast of characters, ranging from humans to mythological beings. Can you determine friend from foe?
- Multiple story paths, depending on your in-game choices.
- Over 50 magical gemstones to equip into your Conductor and enhance your magical power.
More articles about Mage's Initiation