As a young woman, Lara Croft is in search of adventure — and herself. She embarks on an exploratory quest when her hunt for adventure comes looking for her. Now, stranded away from civilization, and equipped with only her instincts and the ability to push herself beyond the threshold of human endurance, Lara must look inside and find what she needs to fight for her survival.
Step into the role of Lara Croft in this gritty and intense narration of the origin of the famed Tomb Raider. Armed with only her raw instincts and physical abilities, you must rise from a scared young woman to a hardened survivor. Push yourself past the limits of human endurance and fight to stay alive in merciless environments. Endure physics-based gaming for an authentic gameplay experience. Face the heart-pounding storyline that looks deep into Lara to showcase her most defining adventure to date. Will you become a survivor?
The PC version of Tomb Raider has been developed in tandem between Crystal Dynamics and long-time partner Nixxes; a collaboration that has spanned over a dozen PC titles and dates back fifteen years.
Jurjen Katsman, Director of Nixxes stated that: “The team at Crystal intended to make the game of their careers and we are extremely proud of the part we have played in the project’s development.”
Tomb Raider for PCs has been extensively optimized to heighten the gameplay experience; with the goal of taking advantage of the PC platform. Enhanced features include: full integration with Steamworks, increased detail tessellation, improved SSAO and post-filter effects, and very high resolution textures, shadows and cloths.
“AMD Graphics and Crystal Dynamics have partnered to capture the realism of one of video gaming’s most iconic characters, Lara Croft of the Tomb Raider franchise,” said Matt Skynner, corporate vice president and general manager, AMD Graphics. “By leveraging the power of AMD Radeon™ and Graphics Core Next, Lara and her environment have come to life like never before.”
Additionally, for PCs that are capable, the game will support AMD HD3D and AMD Eyefinity technologies, the latter of which allows up to six simultaneous displays off a single graphics card.
The game’s enhanced features on the PC version include:
- Full integration with Steamworks to offer cloud storage for saves, multiplayer matchmaking, achievements, as well as automatic updates and new content.
- Support for Steam Big Picture Mode.
- Configurable mouse and keyboard support.
- Gamepad support.
- Very high resolution textures with up to 16x the amount of data
- Detail Tessellation to enhance the detail on many surfaces in the game
- Higher quality shadows
- High quality bokeh depth of field with near-blur
- Tessellation algorithms used to smooth out geometry
- Improved cloth, SSAO, quality wetness effects, and post-filter effects.
- LOD quality is adjustable for better quality on higher-end machines.
- Crystal care about TR fans being able to run on older systems, unlike many other games they still support Windows XP.
- A lot of scalability options to suit a range of machines.
- Darrell Gallagher, Studio Head of Crystal Dynamics commented: “With over a decade of experience working alongside AMD and Nixxes at Crystal Dynamics alone, we had rock solid partners on board to create a superb Tomb Raider experience for PC gamers around the world. At Crystal we approach each of our projects with the sole intention of creating the best possible consumer experience for that format, and we are proud to have worked alongside two great partners who hold the very same values.”
The full list of PC minimum and recommended system requirements is listed below:
- Minimum system requirements for PC
- Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista,7,8 (32bit/64bit)
- DirectX 9 graphics card with 512Mb Video RAM:
- AMD Radeon HD 2600 XT
- nVidia 8600
- Dual core CPU:
- o AMD Athlon64 X2 2.1 Ghz (4050+)
- Intel Core2 Duo 1.86 Ghz (E6300)
- 1GB Memory (2GB on Vista)
- Recommended system requirements for PC
- Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
- DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM:
- AMD Radeon HD 4870
- nVidia GTX 480
- Quad core CPU:
- AMD Phenom II X2 565
- Intel Core i5-750
- 4GB Memory
- Uncover the gritty and visceral story behind the origin of Lara Croft
- Follow her rise from a terrified young woman to a tough survivor
- Push yourself past the limits of human endurance
- Use your raw instincts and physical abilities to stay alive in unforgiving environments
- Immerse yourself in the heart-pounding storyline of Lara's most introspective and defining adventure yet
- Amazing physics-based gameplay offers an authentic experience
More articles about Tomb Raider