Lost Planet 3 introduces Jim Peyton, a Utility Rig pilot who leaves Earth to take on a hazardous but lucrative contract on E.D.N. III. Working for Neo-Venus Construction (NEVEC), Jim is one of a select few pioneers at the Coronis base surveying the uncharted terrain and obtaining samples of the planet’s natural energy source – Thermal Energy, which NEVEC believes will save Earth’s energy crisis. As the months pass, it becomes apparent that things are not as they seem on E.D.N. III. Who is the mysterious figure that seems to be tracking Jim’s every move? What is NEVEC base chief Braddock hiding and can Dr Roman help Jim uncover the truth before it’s too late?
The title delivers a mix of action both inside and outside of Jim’s utility rig vehicle. Acting as a home away from home and offering protection from the ever changing climate, Jim soon discovers the utility rig’s array of tools are just as useful at taking out Akrid in the rig’s first person perspective as they are at helping him fulfill his contract work. Outside the rig the action switches to third person with Jim at the mercy of the elements. He’ll need to battle against hostile enemies with a mix of gun and melee based combat whilst surviving all that is thrown at him.
While under attack from E.D.N. III’s indigenous Akrid, Jim’s Utility Rig falls down an icy fissure, leaving him unconscious and injured. Jim wakes to find himself in what appears to be a secret base, hidden beneath the planet’s frozen surface. On discovering he was rescued by one of the base’s inhabitants, Mira, the daughter of So’ichi (the Snow Pirate leader), he soon realizes that NEVEC are no longer the only occupants of E.D.N. III. With this encounter with the Snow Pirates new truths about the foreboding planet and the colonial history are set to be unveiled.
- Return to extreme conditions – Taking the series back to its roots Lost Planet 3 returns to E.D.N. III, delivering a dynamic battle field that’s more dangerous than ever before with an ever changing climate that will affect the way you play
- Brave the terrifying – Play as blue collar worker Jim, risking assignments in treacherous conditions to earn his hazard pay and return home to his family
- Home away from home – Protect yourself from hostile Akrid and the unpredictable ice storms on E.D.N. III with your utility rig. Equipped with an assortment of tools you’ll need to learn to use the rig to your advantage in order to survive
- Gameplay Variety – Offering a mix of first person combat in the rig and third person gunplay on foot
- Stormy weather – The ever changing weather system of E.D.N. III affects the way you play with conditions that create an imposing environment players will need to adapt to
- Intense, cinematic experience –Developed with the Unreal Engine 3, Lost Planet 3 presents a visually stunning and unique terrain that impacts the gameplay
- Killer enemies – The Akrid are back, bigger and angrier and demanding a more tactical approach during combat
- Save your energy! – Harvest energy by planting thermal posts and use the supply to upgrade your weapons. The longer you leave your post in the ground the more energy you’ll source but this reward brings with it the threat of increasing Akrid reproduction, adding even more risks to the unstable environment. Will the reward be worth the risk?
- Reveal the hidden truths of E.D.N. III – The uncharted world has many secrets locked away. Jim’ search for T-Energy will ultimately reveal further mysteries
- Lonely Planet? – Lost Planet 3 will support a full set of multiplayer modes that enhance players experience of the Lost Planet world
More articles about Lost Planet 3