About Rainier

PC gamer, WorthPlaying EIC, globe-trotting couch potato, patriot, '80s headbanger, movie watcher, music lover, foodie and man in black -- squirrel!

Advertising





Ubisoft Fully Acquires Related Designs

by Rainier on April 11, 2013 @ 2:16 p.m. PDT

Ubisoft has acquired German developer Related Designs, including the Anno franchise. Previously Ubisoft  already owned 29.95% of the company and is acquiring the remaining 70.05% in a cash transaction.

Established in 1995, Related Designs is a highly accomplished studio known for creating the award-winning PC titles Anno 1701, Anno 1404, Anno 2070 as well as real-time strategy games such as No Man´s Land and Castle Strike. As part of Ubisoft, Related Designs’ experienced 65-person staff will continue development of the browser-based free-to-play MMO game Might & Magic Heroes Online, and will work on future titles in partnership with Blue Byte, a Ubisoft studio.

“Bringing the talented teams from Related Designs into the fold at Ubisoft is a mutually beneficial evolution of the relationship that we’ve had with this great studio for the past six years,” said Odile Limpach, managing director at Ubisoft’s Blue Byte studio. “This extremely fruitful cooperation can now advance thanks to the joint teams of Blue Byte and Related Designs more easily sharing experiences and resources. Together we will continue developing awesome games, including Might and Magic Heroes Online, which we hope will become a leading free-to-play title for Ubisoft.”

“We’re happy to formally join Ubisoft,” said Thomas Pottkämper, managing director, Related Designs. “This move validates our longstanding partnership and provides our teams with additional resources to expand upon their great work.”

blog comments powered by Disqus