Technological advances in weaponry had changed how future wars would be fought, but combat tactics did not catch up, leading to failed infantry charges into emplaced machineguns and devastating diseases and plummeting morale. With the invention and revolution of armored cars, tanks, airplanes and more technological wonders, the war could finally become mobile again. It is up the player in Commander – The Great War to utilize and exploit their research and development sources from their side to gain victory, or find themselves brought to their knees through attrition.
The v1.3.0 update contains numerous features. Doubtless the most prominent are the German, French and Italian language options added to the game. From now on, gamers from these countries will be able to play in their native language. Other improvements ensure balancing of the gameplay. The OpenGL requirement to play the game has been reduced from 1.5 to 1.4 (this means that even very old notebooks will be able to play the game causing less internal graphic card driver problems), the Naval war has been improved, and minor bugs have been fixed.
- OpenGL requirement to play the game has been reduced from 1.5 to 1.4
- German, French and Italian language translations and options added to main menu
- Loading does not "freeze" UI
- Loading screens added with random gameplay tip
Gameplay changes / balancing:
- Ship defense increased
- Port & home attack bonuses reduced
- 1914 Fleet sizes increased.
- Naval upgrade costs lowered.
- German convoys spawn if Entente naval power is broken (or disbanded)
- DOWs of Entente nations now occur during Entente turn, so they now get the first moves. France & Belgium are excluded from this change.
- Canadian corps now spawns in a UK port city.
- Higher ammo cost for Bomber & Airship attacks
- Fighters now correctly intercept enemy strategic attacks against empty cities.
- Cities recover faster from damage.
- Disband refund is 100% in home territory (owned by unit's nation), 50% in friendly non-home territory, and none in enemy territory.
- Most nations now surrender quicker rather than fighting to the death.
- Entrenchment no longer stopped when being attacked by enemy (if not forced to retreat).
- Fighter & Armoured Car LOS increased + cost reduced.
- Changed France's second capital to Bordeaux
- Spread Italian PP to a more even distribution
- Significantly increased Port defensive & offensive bonuses
- All ships LOS reduced by 1 (not including subs)
- Changed the Sinai desert to dunes terrain type to make it harder to cross
- Added Petrograd & Helsinki ports
- Bug fix that could crash AI
- Fix for bug which could be achieved by pressed Detach Commander after repairing a unit
- Improved video decoding
- Better handling of pbem game creation time-outs
- Main-menu scroll crash
- PgUp/Down unit-cycle fix
Commander: The Great War is available for $39.99.
More articles about Commander: The Great War