City of Steam is a browser-based MMORPG that uses the Unity 3D engine, bringing sharp and smooth visuals that immerse players in the industrial-age fantasy. Without needing bulky installation or downloads, the game plays smoothly on any browser that supports the Unity plugin on even modest hardware.
As of today (May 10th) 10PM EST (7PM PDT, May 11th 2AM BST), players can register or log in right now and walk the streets of the city of Nexus. Mechanist Games and R2Games are eager to have people playing the game once more after the games’ well-received Closed Beta in December.
R2Games and Mechanist Games are closely working together to realise a very aggressive release schedule that will see new features and content added to the game on an almost bi-weekly basis. The Vault, an entire new suburb (hub) is scheduled to be released this month, and an additional suburb (zone) will follow soon after. New features like events, a fully streamlined skill, talent and crafting system and substantial amounts of cosmetics have also been added to the game.
More information on what content and features will be included in the May 10th Beta release can be found in this post that went up earlier today on City of Steam’s official website. Mechanist Games has made several changes and additions to the game over the 5 months since Closed Beta, and because of this they are anxious for player feedback on the sites’ forums and feedback system, both accessible from the info-bar under the game window.
- 11 playable races, each with unique quest lines and abilities.
- 4 classes with dozens of abilities and branching profession choices.
- 10 massively multiplayer hubs with hundreds of levels to explore and quest-giving NPCs to meet.
- Wear tricornes and bowlers to step out in style! Find thousands of randomly-generated pieces of equipment and cosmetic items bursting with steampunk flavor.
- Gauges and gears everywhere! Modify every weapon in the game, giving your gear the bonuses and appearance you crave.
- Be the envy of all your friends as you zoom by on a sleek steambike or state-of-the-art jetpack!
- Try team and solo Challenge Dungeons to test your skills to the limit!
- All the MMO features you expect: a player-driven Marketplace, team matchmaking, up to 5v5 PVP battles, and more!
More articles about City of Steam