Starting out in the Caribbean, World of Diving recreates and brings to life the world of wonder and discovery that is at the bottom of the ocean, where you will be hang out with friends - whether you have met them in or outside of the game - and can dive with the sea turtles, hunt for the great white shark, and party on your own luxury yachts.
World of Diving is an ambitious undertaking with world-scale potential; all made possible through a combination of procedurally generated environments based on actual biological and geographical data, and manually designed real-world diving spots.
All that is missing now is you - and your support for the World of Diving crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo.
Over the coming month, Vertigo Games will be raising a total funding amount of $75,000 for the development of World of Diving. Contributions of any size are welcome – even sharing alone helps – but you can have the full funder experience from pledges of $20 and up, which include access to the early beta, backer-exclusive forums, and the community development platform on top of a DRM-free digital copy of the game for all platforms when it launches early 2014. Stretch goals for other platforms have been mentioned, and will be revealed as the campaign progresses.
“A question we get asked a lot is why? Why do we want to create a diving game so much?” says Tristan Lambert, Technical Director at Vertigo Games. “The answer is simple: We’ve got avid scuba divers on our team who have filled our heads with images of clear blue, Caribbean water with all their stories about cave diving, wreck diving, and weird underwater animals.”
He adds: “This got us thinking: we should bring diving, an exhilarating and exotic experience, within reach for people around the globe regardless of geographical location. This is something we can and want to do – together.”
Together indeed - an interesting side effect of crowdfunding is that it allows for a dynamic, creative and transparent development process. Vertigo Games is planning to put this to full use, as they will be keeping an open dialogue with the community to actively incorporate feedback and ideas for gameplay, features, in-game items, and more throughout the development.
Key features include:
- Visit astonishing real-world diving spots, manually brought to life by our design team.
- Explore the Earth’s oceans without limitation thanks to procedurally generated environments.
- Customize your character from body type, face and hairstyle, to clothing and accessories.
- Team up and explore with friends or one of your NPC companions.
- Over a hundred collectable species, many of which add their unique benefit to your diving skill.
- Compete with friend and foe over ancient treasure and in exciting diving challenges.
- Discover rusty shipwrecks, World War II submarines and eerie underwater caverns.
- Take part in the community and help direct the development of the gameplay and in-game items.
- Play using the Oculus Rift for the full immersive experience, or use a traditional monitor.
World of Diving supports (but does not require) the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset.
More articles about World of Diving